Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jacques, Matt and my fellow Hobiests,

It appears that someone has pushed the "make pictures display as small as hell" button. Perhaps to manage forum clutter?

If this was done to rescale megaphotos that are >1200 ppi, (to prevent scrolling and extended downloading time) I suggest it is overdone. The new images, which are auto-reduced to 1/2 the available column space are ridiculously small and of no real use for technical discussions.

There must be a better setting that could be used?

Normally, forums filtering images like this would put a hot link to the full sized image. Hobie did not. That's a good thing. That solution is not much better. Hundreds of users, clicking in/out of every picture on every thread is very unproductive and not much fun. ( I suppose scrolling isn't either- but we have had no complaints or warnings about this so far).

We all realize that our photos are not "stored" or served from the Hobie site, so If the oversized photo links are an issue and must be reduced for aesthetic reasons, I suggest rescaling to at least the full frame width, which is close to 800 ppi horizontally.

I'm not turned off by the full rez in-line pictures. They usually help. If I have been guilty of "overusing" them, I apologize.

Trouble is, with our megapixel cameras, there is no "practical" way to upload our pictures to the cloud and have them all served out at the perfect forum sizes. I'm already forced to use several image sites with different pieces of software and it's a time-consuming chore just to upload the originals. I'm sure most of us have a similar story to tell.

BTW, I'm all for dramatic scaling of the signature picts, which are complete dead weight here.

So PLEASE, consider adjusting or removing this image size filter. Otherwise, we'll have to re-title the "2012 ADVENTURE/TANDEM ISLAND POSTAGE STAMP PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPETITION" thread.

Cheers!

Last edited by NOHUHU on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Our web guys were trying to clean up the issue where huge images push the forum table too wide. I have asked them to get images closer to 450 pix or so width. This is too small. They note that these are like thumbnails. You can click on images and see the full size if desired.

Right click and "open in a new tab"

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So are you planning to change it so the images are the same width as the web table, Matt? That would be the ideal compromise.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ah, I see you've fixed it. That looks great Matt - thanks. I guess that means we can just upload our photos a bit oversized and they will be automatically scaled to fit the forum table.

@NOHUHU: I've found a quick way to deal with oversized photos is to use a photo display utility to display them on your screen at about the size you want them to appear, then use a screen capture utility to snip the displayed image and save it to a file. Works with a PC or a Mac.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Much better! Now I don't need to get new glasses... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks much more professional now. And you can right click to see the full sized image.

Thanks!

(I still need the new glasses for my tiny GPS screen) :shock: