Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just recently purchased a Hobie Outfitter and the sail kit to go with it. My second time out under light wind conditions (5 – 10 MPH) I heard a loud pop from inside my Hobie. With that I noticed my sail leaning a lot more to the side then it had previously. I don’t know exactly how the sail mast housing is mounted inside the Hobie and I cant see it or reach it on the Outfitter but I’m sure what ever was holding it to the bottom of the kayack came loose. I really like the product but the main reason I bought the outfitter was b/c I could sail with it and paddle!! Worst part of this is I was planning on taking the Outfitter on a week long lake paddle/peddle ï

Post subject: Mast tube
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:22 am 
Site Admin

The mast tube threads onto a fitting inside the hull. There is a molded "nub" in the keel. The mast tube has threads in the area that it passes through into the deck. The lower part fits over the "nub". The tube may have been offset or popped off during freight.

It is possible that the tube can be unscrewed and re-inserted.

Your dealer can help or use a long and large blade screw driver (fits down inside the tube) to unscrew the part and re-set.

If there is further issue, Hobie will take care of it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Last edited by mmiller on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a lot Matt!!! I appreciate the advice. I will have a look this weekend as my Outfitter is not right with me at the moment.. The yack was in transport for a good while last weekend before this happen, so I definitely could have loosened mast tube threads on the road as you said. I really hope your correct B/C that puts me back in business for some sail assistance on my upcoming lake trip in Maine.

I have to say I really like the Outfitter it's the perfect one or two person craft. Anyone who has their doubts rest assured this craft can be managed by one or two and is great for solo fishing and or pedaling around with a friend. The Sail issue aside (soon rectified, fingers crossed) I couldn’t be more pleased with this purchase.

As others have posted if you want to sail you definitely want to add a couple of small Harkin blocks to handle the main sheet it makes a big difference. I am also playing with the idea of adding a dagger board to the front where the second drive system goes in the Outfitter that way I can still pedal through a tack but will gain the added benefit of a dagger board. Might be a bit of a pain to manage up there in the front, but the yack is stable enough to get up to the front to put the dagger board in and take out. Once I have it worked out I’ll be sure to post some pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey NYKayakFisher.
As Matt says, there is a single machine screw that holds the mast tube/step in place in the hull. The screw and/or tube may have come loose, or perhaps did not get tightened sufficiently during the boat's prep. If that is all, it should not be a problem to fix, but you will probably find that a large hand mirror and a flashlight (in addition to the screwdriver!) will be helpful in correcting it. Good luck, and welcome to the Hobie Forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had a similar problem with a 2004 Tandem. The original mast housing inserted into the hole (on this Tandem model it is in the middle of the forward seat position) by the dealer dropped out -- I know not where or how. I ordered a replacement and this one screwed in from the bottom (sans hardware) and seemed to be well-seated. A couple of sails later this one dropped out as well. I wrote Hobie about the problem and I got a response that they had not received notice of this happening to others. They did suggest glue as an added precaution. [BTW, thought this a rather (censored) response]. Given your experence with the new Outback, there may be signs of a fundamental design defect here. I am going to try a jury rig with metal or PVC piping wedged into mast hole along with duct tape, etc. This may be cheaper than having to buy replacement plastic fittings from Hobie (and you can get them only thru your dealer, not directly from the source) every two or three sails. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:36 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
as I recall the early mirage tandems required an insert from the top, I will check and see if it will work on the newer style I have 1 2005 left on display, and let you know how it work. Will be Monday I am out of the office until then.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:47 am 
Site Admin

That is an odd one.

This is completely different from the standard mast mount issue that started this thread.

I don't think our response was a [censored] response, but one of truth. We have never heard of a Tandem sail mount falling out. Are you sure you used the correct adapter? There are two dimensions. One for older boats and another for more recent. If the boat is a 2004, serial number 1544-5751 you should have part # 84961

We can provide you with a replacement adapter for sure (or a credit if already purchased).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Tandem Mast Fitting
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,
Thanks for the response. Please excuse my censored remark -- due to frustration and inability to sail without the fitting. The serial number of my boat is CCMX4228E404 (at least that is the number scratched at the bottom base of the stern). I gave that number to the dealer - Fairhope Boat Company -- Fairhope, AL with whom I placed the order and I assume it was correctly transmitted. I have not yet ordered a replacement. My address is: Tom Schornhorst, 421 Wedgewood Drive, Gulf Shores, AL 46542. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Post subject: Adapter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Tom,

We will ship a replacement direct.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,
Thanks for the quick response and action. Once I get the new fitting attached I will monitor it carefully to see how, or if, it starts to loosen. Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Attention Matt Miller:
Sorry I don't know how to contact you directly so I will try the forum knowing that you monitor it regularly. Just wanted to let you know that I have not yet received the mast fitting replacement for the Hobie Tandem that you said you would send. The mail is pretty slow here in LA (Lower Alabama, that is) so it may just not have arrived. I would appreciate your checking on it. Thanks, Tom Schornhorst, 421 Wedgewood Drive, Gulf Shores, AL 36542.

Post subject: Adapter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry Tom, I see that the part has actually been back ordered. It is after hours and the factory is not open on Fridays or I would check status tomorrow.

Your order # is 85230 placed on 7/13/06

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Other mast problem
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a sail kit that's 15 months old for my Outback and I just picked up my wife's brand new sail kit (red and gray) for the Sport model I bought for her this past spring. The mast that comes with the new sail kit is very different from mine - it has 2 very different diameter tube halves and when you fit the smaller one into the larger one there is a very loose fit. My mast has the same size tube for both halves with a smaller diameter piece sticking out of one which fits snugly into the other. With the new mast, the top of the mast sways at least an inch in any direction because of the loose fit. I looked everywhere in the box and could not find any missing part that makes the fit more snug. Am I missing something? The fit is loose when either end of the small tube is put into the larger one (I assume the plastic plugged end goes toward the top of the mast to protect the top of the sail sleeve). I would rather have the mast with two same-diameter tubes and the snug fit.

Ken Shuman
Durham, New Hampshire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Ken,

I think mine is that way too. I used duct tape to connect them and just store the whole assembly in one piece for a faster set up; you could take a wrap around the smaller tube to get a tighter fit.

I noticed the mast has a little flex to it, probably because of the newer design. This allows the sail to spill some wind under heavy loads, thus reducing strain on the boat and giving a split second more time to react. It's works well for me. Have you noticed any performance difference vs. the older sail?