Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Hoist
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Inspired by ideas from some other forum members I recently installed a hoist in my garage to stow two Hobie Sports and a few accessories. I am posting the photos and some design details here in case others might find such an arrangement usefull.

Key features:

• Working load estimated at 200lbs
  • Max combined boat width 62" as installed but the design could easily be adjusted for any width and length that will fit in the space.
  • Accomodates unbalanced loads (eg: one boat off center) and lifts straight up floor to ceiling without swinging or tilt.
  • Electric driven for effortless lifting.
  • Can lower the boats directly onto a cartop carrier.
  • The ropes attach to the cradles with clips so they can be easilly detached after the boats are lowered.

This photo shows the boats on the floor. As you can see, there isn't much spare room in the garage, hence the need for the lift.

This shows the boats in the stowed position, about 6' 3" off the floor and easilly clearing our Suburu Outback and my 6' head.

One boat loaded off center, works fine. You can also see the pulleys and winch.

A better look at the pulleys. More on the layout geometry later.

The winch has a control box that hangs down so it is accessable. Later a bungee was added to hold this out of the way until needed.

The eight pulleys and hardware were about $50-60 at Lowes. The winch is from Harbor Freight, was $99 on sale, list is $140 (ITEM 96127-2VGA). The winch is 120v AC rated at 1500lbs with about 36' of steel cable. It should be noted this winch is not rated for overhead lifting, perhaps because it lacks a safety limit switch. I found it suitable for my purposes, you will have to make your own determination. The pulley layout may look a bit odd but it is designed to meet three critical requirements:

• The four primary (lifting) pulleys must be directly above the attachment points on the 2x2 cradles.
  • The four secondary pulleys bring all ropes in direct alignment with the winch cable so the winch moves each by the same distance. These two requirements insure that the cradles always lift straight up without swinging or tilting, even if the load is unbalanced.
  • The distance between the secondary pulleys and the winch must be greater than the intended lifting distance floor to ceiling, in this case about 7'.

Of course the winch doesn't have to be electric, a boat trailer winch or even a come-along could be used if you take care not to drop the load! Harbor Freight has a manual winch (5798-0VGA), like a boat winch but the crank moves horizontally instead of vertically to eliminate interference with the ceiling. If you have the space you could add a pulley and mount a manual winch on the wall for accessability. You would have to find a different pulley, however, as that application would exceed the working load of the other pulleys used here.

I hope these ideas will prove helpfull, or at least interesting, to someone.

Post subject: Re: Hobie Hoist
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Choo, great project, well documented and beautifully engineered! Looks absolutely professional. Thanks for sharing. 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the inspiration Choochoo22 :)
This is how it looks like with our Oasis:
It consists out of the hoist system and two thick bungee's securing the boat once hoisted to the ceiling.

I hope this works :) , this is the link to the webalbum for the larger pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/11028066354 ... dpvG4W0YA#

Last edited by Thierry on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Both systems look good! Mine is on the side on 2x4 wall brackets... I may have to go back and re-engineer my earlier idea for over-head storage. Good show, guys!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for sharing - great photos and engineering solutions :) :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm now inspired and looking forward to installing pulley mounting points against the roof trusses in my garage. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My garage ceiling is too bumpy with retro-fitted HVAC ducting for a system like this... so I am jealous. :) Great job!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice systems guys - lot's of people ask how-to questions about this subject, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread so that it gets some new views.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Beautiful design!!
Can you give some details about the pulleys and rope? Where did you get them? How are they described?

Thanks for sharing this!!

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry, I'm late with my answer, I'm very busy nearing my retirement :D

I completed my gallery with some extra pictures from the hoist system.
https://picasaweb.google.com/110280663540216373539/HobieOasisOphangsysteem#
And feel free to have a look in the other parts of the gallery. Just click on "Fotogallerij van...." or "Photogallery of......".

I'm from Flanders in Belgium and found these "made in germany" pulleys in a hardware shop, the wheels are 40mm diameter.
Every year they get a treatment with a bit of teflon spray.

The next picture is the transition from the nylon ropes to the steel cable from the hoist itself. I've put a thermo-schrunk sleeve over the metal attachment parts.

The nylon cord is about 5 to 6 mm diameter.

The steelcable that came with the hoist is 4mm diameter.

And some pictures from the bungies as an extra safety when the boat is hanging from the ceiling.

I hope this helps :)

Thierry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is our garage storage solution for our Hobie Outback. The first version used 1" straps. After 1 week in Houston heat, the gunwale was dented, and the hull a tiny bit warped. Back to the drawing board...
We remembered how scientists transport big fish, and came up with this sling idea. I don't think we will have any distortion problems now.

Thank you to all the generous posters. Your posts helped us with our design. Please, if you see anything glaringly wrong here, let us know, as we are inexperienced!

2012-08-05_13-07-30_240 by casalopez2008, on Flickr

2012-08-05_13-08-21_971 by casalopez2008, on Flickr