Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inspection Port Fix
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok I have located my 1st soft spot. Its right in front of the inspection port that the previous owner installed. I have read that this location is really not a good spot for a port. So my thought is to remove it and glass over it. Will fix soft spot at same time..

Question... What is best material to fill hole with before I start to glass over it?

Post subject: Re: Inspection Port Fix
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Only guessing but that sealing expanding foam spray you can get on the Harware Store, dryes pretty strong, is easy to apply and inexpensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rather than remove and glass over the port, you might consider just adding some reinforcing ribs to the inside of the deck using high-density foam/glass sandwich panels. This would strengthen the area and still allow you to keep the port. Just a thought.

If you do decide to glass over the port, the proper way to do that would be to recreate the existing sandwich laminate by adding a layer of glass inside the hull, then bonding in high-density foam core (Polyurethane or PVC, don't use hardware store spray foam!), then laminating the outer skin, and finally gelcoating. It's a fairly involved project.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info guys. My brother in law is in the middle of building a airplane that's all glass. He said he has plenty of scraps laying around and can help me do a build up! We will see how it goes.

I'll keep my blog up to date!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My friend put the inspection ports on his H14 in the same place. To reinforce the area he hollowed out the foam from between the two layers fiberglass around the hole in about 3/4 of an inch. Then coated the space with polyester resin and inserted 1/4" fiberglass rope http://www.fiberglasstex.com/rope&braids.htm pre-impregnated with resin, making 3 wraps (pushing in with a screwdriver, keeping air bubble dead spaces to a minimum), then used tape to seal it up and a syringe with needle to inject extra resin in punctures made by the needle around the edge. After drying he removed the tape, cleaned the edges with a dremel and installed the port. This made for a very strong port support. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm doing this right now. I made a piece of fiberglass and glassed it to the inside. Then built up on top till it was flush. I have many pictures of it. I'll post a few.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bah650 wrote:
Ok I have located my 1st soft spot. Its right in front of the inspection port that the previous owner installed. I have read that this location is really not a good spot for a port. So my thought is to remove it and glass over it. Will fix soft spot at same time..

Question... What is best material to fill hole with before I start to glass over it?

I hate to bring bad news but you will waste your time, you can fix it enough to sail but not recommended for wind over 10mph.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I hate to bring bad news but you will waste your time, you can fix it enough to sail but not recommended for wind over 10mph.

I call BS to this flat statement. My friend with the ports in the same location (reinforced as previously indicated) sails his H14 in 20+ knot winds and has not had one any problems with the hulls (except last weekend when he forgot to tighten the starboard port and lost it while sailing, filling the hull with water - but that is another story http://funtosail.blogspot.com/). :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you choose to glass it I believe you should also be using polyester or vinlyester resin not epoxy. Just FYI.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Im confused by this statment? The guy I got the boat from was the original owner and installed port himself many years ago. Its still holding together. Please explain..
Little Wing wrote:
Bah650 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't worry about the people that say it can't be fixed. Fiberglass and resin is cheap. The work is a bit messy. It helps if you or someone working with you is good at it. Sometimes it takes a lot of manhours to get the job done right, so it may not be cost effective to fix everything, but IT CAN BE DONE. And if done right it WILL be strong enough if not stronger than original. Thats the beauty of fiberglass! Right now I have about 30 hours in my (overhaul). I'm just about ready to apply gelcoat to the whole boat. Probably have 30 or more hours to go. Is it cost effective? I don't know. I don't care. It's going to be great, strong, right, and mine. That's what matters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Use polyester resin. It's what the boat is made of.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK it is time to post the photos of what happens, I am sorry but I had a 16 with a porthole it worked but it finally broke, IT WILL FAIL!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey man, don`t you be so worried about this whole-hole thing !!!! I don`t see a big problem with it, and neither I see this thing is going to blow into a million pieces if you hit some good winds. This is not a Space Shuttle, neither a F1 cart or a deep Sea submarine. I am a bit rude sometimes, but I learned the hard way. I used to be so picky and detailed, I guess being the son of an Aircraft Mechanic who also became an A.Mech, I live fixing complicated things, but when it comes to low tech, low speed gear or machines, KEEP IT SIMPLE !!!!!!!!!!
I understand some people DO enjoy repairing and creating and perfecting things, and thats alright, but if you just want to sail, you know, do sailing, kind of like going to the lake or the beach and have some fun with friends and other sailors, just don`t worry so much.
Fill the hole with some foam to the top only leaving the top fiberglass depth of the hull top, and fill that hole with polyester resin and fiberglass cloth, sand the thing, put bit of white gell coat on top, AND JUST GO SAILING !!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I have a game plan now and when I get to it ill let everyone know what I did. I think I can make it work if not better than it was when boat was made.