Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: beach storage
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lets take an idea from 20,000 leagues under the sea: We can run an electric current through the tramp frame so anyone who tries to climb on will get a nasty shock! Also, has anyone experimented with a cloaking device?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Galvanized helix anchors are the best way to go for tying down your cat on the beach.Mine are 5 ft. long and they don't move.Ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Digging down 6 feet is extremely deep. That would be quite a project.

We bury our anchors/cinder blocks about two or three feet and that seems to be plenty. The boat/anchor doesn't budge. But then again, we take our boat off the beach for Hurricanes and big storms as it would likely not survive these storms no matter how well it's tied down.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just put mine on the beach this week.

In addition to what alot have already said I put mine backwards from everyone else on the beach. - I point my bows towards the water. I also push it up high on the dune (i know not all beaches are the same) If I leave my rudders on, I usually do, I push them down into the sand so they are less likely to be bothered. I also go further away from the beach access so there are more boats closer for people to mess with.
I also make sure all my rigging is tight before leaving it as some home owners will sabotage a noisy boat, and to be respectful of them not having to listen to that all the time.
I figure things will happen when you leave it out of your site for so long so I just give a thorough check over things before I head out on the water. To me it just the price of convenience.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking at a Hobie 17 for sale tomorrow and it just so happens to be parked on Jennings Beach, thanks for scaring the crap out of my with those lovely photos!

:(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Supergoldy wrote:
I'm looking at a Hobie 17 for sale tomorrow and it just so happens to be parked on Jennings Beach, thanks for scaring the crap out of my with those lovely photos!

:(

Supergoldy, I know the 17 Sport you'll be looking at, I met the owner George last year and he told me he was considering selling it. I own the blue and white H18 about five boats closer to the water, so come say "Hi" if you see me.

Aside from needing new shock chord or line for the trampoline, that H17 appears to be in very good condition. Nice EPO rudders with H20-style adjusters. I'm not sure if those adjusters came stock on the 17 but they sure beat what I have. Also, take a look at the keels - I don't believe there's <i>any</i> wear to speak of. All of the gelcoat is still glossy. The one thing I've never seen is the sails. Good luck. Would you be keeping the boat on Jennings?