Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great day, just got back, winds steady around 15knots, sunny sunny sunny, was running for a little bit, wind got strong and flipped us upside down when the bows got buried under water at around 12-13 knots. No way to bring her back up, ocean was choppy and lots of currents. Another sailor and his daughter showed up on another H16 and stayed with us until we got close to the beach and him and other good people from the beach came over and helped us lift it and put it back up. THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP !!!
One thing we found is that the Bob got half filled with water, and the cap was totally out of the bob and hanging from the hole. ( ??? ).
I take my hat off for those fellows for all the help they provided !!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm glad everything turned out ok. I do find the sailing fraternity always ready to step in and help a fellow sailor in need or distress, sorry I can't say the same generally speaking for the power guys. Sometimes an incident like this can sour a person off sailing permanently. I bought a 1 year old 16 from a guy that only had it out twice, the second time he was out by himself, flipped it got caught under the sail. According to his mother he never went out again. I found the boat stuck under the trees and although it was a tequila sunrise boat it was completely back from the tree sap. Took many quarters at the car wash to clean her up, but I got 20 yrs. of sailing out of her after that.