Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy All,
New to kayaking and love fishing, hence a question on one of the awesome blossom products. I would want to go fishing with my son but from the look of it, pro 14 only has a single seat. Could a second seat be added safely to this boat?
Thanks for any tips/info you can share.
Lino.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used a folding "beach chair" facing backwards for my son... It works great. We mounted it into 4x4 wood pads so that damage to the boat was eliminated. I even sat back there and let him peddle me around... very stable and comfortable.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/26091 ... image.html

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My son is nine years old and weighs 100lbs. I put a 60qt cooler in the rank well and he sits on a stadium seat on top of that. We've had no issues and I've also let him peddle me around while I sat back there (240lbs).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I stick my 5 and 6 year old boys along with a 60 pound dog on a outback, so I think you would be pimping in a angler. Granted I'm rolling clampit style, low and slow. And they dump me when they get out. But a stringer, fixes all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I really like the camp chair idea as a main seat not just the second seat... Wow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I'm by myself and on the shallow flats I often sit or stand on the cooler to push pole myself while sight fishing. Works great and gives me a more elevated vantage point when standing up there which helps to spot fish farther away from the boat.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Being able to accommodate another person on the PA14 was the deciding factor in buying mine. My wife is not as enthusiastic about fishing as I am, but still wanted to go out on the water with me. Browsed around the net and heard mention of the PA being able to put another body on the back and I was sold. Went to Bass Pro and picked up a stadium style chair and she can now lounge on the back. I will say that pedaling requires slightly more effort, but does not make a huge difference. I will also mention, that a buddy of mine has gone out with me and was able to stand up back there. You will play the balancing game a little bit, but at no time, even when boat and jet ski wake rolled under us, did we ever come close to losing balance or falling off.