Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all! I am pretty new new to the Hobie community, and wanted to introduce myself and maybe get some guidance from you all as well. We have always had Hobies in the family, but due to my work restraints I never really sailed ours until last summer when I went out with my 84 year old grandfather. We have a 14-Turbo on Lake Geneva.

Today I mentioned to him that I had such a good time that I was looking at getting a Hobie of my own to use on some of the lakes that are more local to my city. He said if I wanted I could have his extra 14 for free, but would need to fix/replace one of the hulls. It was damaged after being hit by some knucklehead on a rental jetski some years ago, and has been sitting around as a 'parts' boat since then (although no parts have been taken from it yet).

My question is, would this hull be repairable, or should I just look at replacement? I have used the search function, but the only threads I was able to find dealt more with soft hulls (I gather that is when the glass delams?) or smaller punctured holes, as opposed to long cracks like this. (Pics below).

If not repairable, where is a good place to look for replacement hulls? Google searches yield places that sell hardware for Hobie 14s, but I was unsuccessful at finding the hull itself.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on the issue!!

-Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:42 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

There's a saying, "If it's fiberglass, it can be fixed."

But here, just the cost of materials to repair would exceed the cost of a replacement hull (you could probably buy a whole boat for less than $500). It's just not worth the time and effort.

That hull is whacked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah... initially I figured I should be able to find a replacement hull in the ballpark of $100, and if that were the case I would go that route... I know I can just buy a different boat for relatively cheap (The list of Craig has a 16 locally with Spirit of '76 sails for $750). I guess at this point I kind of want to do it just to have a project to tinker with... We'll see :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Unless you REALLY like repairing fiberglass, that hull is toast. Buy a hull, or part out
the boat to finance a working cat. Keep us posted. GH

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/3049930243.html

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43259

That's some serious tinkering. I can relate to wanting to fix it to see if you can.
Your going to have to stick some guides on the hull and route out the perimeter of
the damage, remove the outer glass, remove the foam, re-laminate the inner glass,
apply new foam, re-laminate the outer glass, fair it out, and re gel coat it.
Please post pics if you go for it. GH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gahamby wrote:
That's some serious tinkering.

Well, since I was laid off from my job and will have seven weeks before I start working again thats exactly what type of tinkering I need! :lol:

I'm going back to the lake tomorrow, and will be able to assess the damage a bit better -- I'll make my decision then I suppose!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tinker on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you end up fixing your hull in the end? I just bought a Hobie 14 it also has a crack in the hull, although not as extensive as yours. I'm curious to know how it went