Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tim H16 wrote:
Jerome,

Several years ago when I had a 14Turbo, I was sailing across St. Andrews Pass from Alligator Point toward Shell Island and the boat kept getting lower in the water. About a third of the way across, I realized that I had forgot to put in both of my drain plugs and so I tried to turn around to go back. The next thing I know the stern went under water and the bows were pointing straight up and then the wind hit my vinyl tramp and continued the reverse cartwheel until it was turtled (that boat did not have a Bob and I don't know if it would have made a difference with water in the hulls).

After putting the plugs in, I was not able to get the boat to stay on it's side since everytime I tried to upright it, the water in the hulls would either rush forward or aft causing it to rotate upwards or downwards.

A PWC came by to help and I attached a line to my dolphin striker while the bows were pointing upward and he was able to pull me forward enough so the boat leveled off and I continued sailing over to Shell Island where I beached it and drained the hulls.

Fortunately while I was turtled, the tide was coming in so I wasn't drifting out the Pass toward Mexico. The main thing I learned from this is to always check your drain plugs.

A buddy of mine was jetskiing in the pass, let a friend ride it (Aftermarket Standup Hull $$$$$$). Kid lost it and the ski sunk (They are not suppose to totally sink), James searched for it for a few days but being in the pass he knew it was a lost cause....... About 4-6 months later some divers found it, I believe near the jetty at the mouth of the pass.... It was beat up but in pretty good shape!.
Yah, I know, off topic!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sxrracer,

Since we only get one high/low tide cycle per day along the Gulf Coast and it is about 40 miles in both directions of the Inner Coastal before you get to another Pass to the Gulf, the current is pretty strong and turbulent in the St. Andrews Pass while the tide is going in or out. When the tide is coming in, the cooler water from the Gulf tends to sink under the warmer water of the Bay and creates a lot of turbulence, this maybe is why the jetski could have sunk.

It is interesting watching the big monohulls try to sail through the Pass against the tide. When you look at the otherside of the Pass they sometimes look like they are actually not making any progress under sail and they appear to be either stationary or going backwards. Usually they switch to their auxillary motors at that point. I don't like to sail in/out of the Pass against the tide unless there is at least a 10 knots onshore wind.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Tue May 18, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nah, they company that built the hull, did a crappy job and did not add enough foam in the rear area and it was full of water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sunk like a rock!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tim: You're H-14T experience sounds a lot like our early experiences with my daughter's. That thing would turtle in a heartbeat. Turned out it had about 200 lbs of mud and water in the mast! After emptying and sealing the mast it's much better, but it still turtles a lot easier than my H-16....bad news in a shallow lake. Since it's mostly sailed solo by my daughter, I put a Baby Bob on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think Hobie should change the name of the "Baby Bob" so it doesn't have such a "training wheels" type stigma to it's name. Maybe just "Hobie Bob" and "Mama Bob" instead.

I am sure others have some interesting nicknames for it or have customized it to look cooler.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL