Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm just fed up with Canadian Hobie dealers...well, at least two of them. My local dealer in Atlantic Canada doesn't even reply to my emails and the one in Toronto...all is good if the parts are in stock....if not...it's wait, wait, wait....and then some... I'm really beginning to lose patience and sail time.

Any recommended US stores that will ship north and have a decent inventory in stock?? In particular, I'm in need of a Getaway rear crossbar end cap.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have to agree with you about the "one in Toronto"

Over the years, I've found many of the staff to be quite good, but the owner... well I don't have much good to say about him. Sometimes I wonder if his attitude trickles down to some of the full time, long term employees. There are a few long term employees who have been great to me, and others... well... not so much. It wouldn't take much for them to be excellent... but it's a decision that they need to make at the very top.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How long does it take for parts to be shipped from the Hobie HQ to Canadian dealers??? There's a problem somewhere in the supply chain...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Rob,
I'm in Toronto...same issues as you.
I just placed a nice order with SaltyDog Marine out of Michigan.
It's being shipped today.
Everything I needed, which was all the rigging, trapeze lines, full set of ropes and sheets and a bunch of other items, were all in stock.

Very happy with the service so far, and the prices.
I'll let you know when I receive it, and if there are any issues coming across the border.

W

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

lol...maybe we should get together and start up a proper store in Canada!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You all have heard the story on how to make a million bucks? Start with three million and buy a marina.

I have had good luck with Salty Dog, and my Hobie dealer in SW MI. I have ordered from other Hobie dealers as well. I would visit the local dealer but at a hour away one direction I just call him and he ships what I need.

I have a saying. If my local stores will not be responsive to my needs, (within reason) then they don't need my business. And anyone I talk to will hear about the poor service as well.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, so in Ottawa, being the Nation's Capital, we learn to 'look before we shoot', part of living in a 'political' city.

I have had nothing but great service from Fogh Marine. They have a good inventory, however, like most dealers, they do NOT carry absolutely every single part. For unusual parts, buyers can choose (if they want) to wait for the next bulk shipment from California, OR if they want it Express shipped in at extra charges, as the freight and custom's clearance is disproportionately higher. Somehow, drop shipments do not work well cross border. I suggest that the issue is not the dealer, but a cross border matter. Like most dealers, Fogh puts in a big order early in the year, and gets in most commonly used items, and that means that the 'per piece' costs of freight and customs are very low, which is good for business and good for customers. Once you move to the world of 'special orders', it's caveat emptor.

I also buy from US dealers. For example, every time we go to Florida, I drop in to say 'Hi' to Hank & Josh at Nautical Ventures. Their parts inventory is low, as I understand they order in volume from Hobie in California, and shipping costs/timing are not an issue.

For some non-Hobie parts, I've bought from Salty Dog and West Marine, and the customs clearing charge and the HST make it frustrating, which brings us back to a cross border issue.

I think the question to ask Fogh is 'what is involved in setting up a drop shipment when the originator is in California?'

Can I buy you a Tim Hortons, double-double?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

No offer of express shipping was made to me. I've been trying to get this part since April. First, through my local dealer and then I placed an order thru Fogh on May 5th. I don't want to assemble the boat and then redo everything when the part finally arrives...but damn, I might have to resort to that at this point. The season is short enough as it is...don't want any more down time than necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have always had helpful service from the Hobie dealer Quiet Waters sailboats. They service the cottage country area in Ontario and don't keep a big stock of parts so you may have to wait, but they have happily ordered what I've needed, called me when their in and I pick them up when I take my boat up north. They even recognize me everytime I stop by. Hard to beat that!

Last edited by jamoulto on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have ordered parts from Toronto dealer... Fogh and found them to be knowledgeable and helpful.. but the shipping for H 16 shrouds and a few drain plugs was $35.00.

Can you believe there is no Hobie dealer in Vancouver?????

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jamoulto wrote:
I share many of the same sentiments about the dealer in Toronto...

... I have always had helpful service from the Hobie dealer Quiet Waters sailboats. They service the cottage country area in Ontario and don't keep a big stock of parts so you may have to wait, but they have happily ordered what I've needed, called me when their in and I pick them up when I take my boat up north. They even recognize me everytime I stop by. Hard to beat that!

I agree with you about Quiet Waters. If I were to buy a boat, I'd much prefer to buy it from them. They're excellent!

If anyone is reading this and is interested in Hobie Kayaks in Southern Ontario, I have to say that Swift Canoe and Kayak, (two locations, one is in Gravenhurst, the other is... off the 400? I can't remember right now) They are EXCELLENT. Extremely friendly staff, very helpful, not the "yacht club" type like in Toronto.

I don't think Quiet Waters deals with the Kayak line, and Swift only deals the kayaks, but no sailboats.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Screw it...went sailing wingless and installed only the main tramp...glorious afternoon of sailing on Grand Lake.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Try these guys:
http://www.mariner-sails.com/

No relationship to them but they have always done well by me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't know what to think anymore.... I requested that if Hobie has the part in stock, they should send it by courier at their expense. This is just cruel and unusual punishment....

Quote:
> From: "OrderDesk"
> To: "'Rob Dekker'"
> Subject: RE: Fogh Marine - Order 33669
> Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:07:38 -0400
>
> Rob,
>
> Unfortunately the part still has not arrived. I have left 3 emails and 3 voicemails for Hobie in California this morning, as soon as someone gets back to me I will let you know. Expect to hear from me today.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're having the same luck I had with "La Vie Sportive" in Québec City last year. And I have to agree that the service in Atlantic Canada is not the best.

I've had good luck with Fogh Marine so far, but everything I ordered was in stock. There were a few that weren't in stock, but I sourced them locally. It was rivets, so I just went to Fastenal.

We read comments on here all the time that says: "Support your local Hobie dealer". Shouldn't it be the other way around? They should support us. All they need for repeat business is competitive prices and prompt turnaround when ordering out of stock items.