Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I just purchased a used 78' Hobie 16 in poor condition as a project boat.
The first issue to tackle was the badly delaminated hull. Since the hull was past the point it was fixable purchasing a new set of hulls seemed to be the solution. I have been told by several different sources that all Hobie 16 hulls are interchangeable. Luckily, I was able to find a pair of good hulls from a Hobie 16 hulls 83' cat for sale for a reasonable price. Unfortunately I ran into a slight problem when I swapped the old ones out for the new.
The holes for the bolt running through the hull pylon and the trampoline casting do not line up! More specifically, the front plyon holes almost match up but the rear ones are off by 40% or more. This is could be be a significant problem or a inexperienced mis-step on my part. My questions are:

1. By design, should these holes line up? Is this an issue with different models (77-83) of 16? Or am I doing something wrong like sliding the pylon into the casting sleeve at an angle to produce this issue? Or is a bent pylon possibly to blame?

Both rear pylons look to be out of alignment to the same degree but you never know...

2. Before I go to town with my driver and metal drill bits (drilling the holes out seems the necessary fix) is there anything I should be aware of? hazards I need to avoid? or advice from someone who has successfully negotiated this hurdle before?

3. If drilling out the holes is the solution will I need to step up a bolt size to keep the boat rigid or will the same size bolts do?

Here is the pic of the rear pylon and casting.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p532/slidetolzec/?action=view&current=IMG_0368.jpg

Last edited by slidetolzec on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

on your corners for the tramp frame, can you loosen them up and "Adjust" them to fit?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not sure that will work but will give it a try.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p532/slidetolzec/?action=view&current=IMG_0368.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Did you take off the tramp... or at least loosen it up??? this might help align the front at least..

here is another link about this topic

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5229

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes - a few months later here
I am in same situation with H14 - put 92 hulls on a 78 frame - i can get one front pylon to line up - the other front - real close - and the rear 2 off by about 50% of the hole horizontally. I assume drill time - as the hulls can't move horizontally I assume we should not be compromising anything here? I noticed when I took the old ones off they had been drilled also -

did you have a solution?
thanks from lovely Minnesota where I have to get the boat put together to put it in the garage for 8 months!!

thanks