Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all, this is my first post!

I've been looking for the right boat for quite some time.

Today I looked at a Hobie 17 Sport. It has everything and is in mint condition, was mostly a lake boat until a few years ago and has been sailed twice since then but still perfectly maintained. It's got the stock jib and a custom 140 racing jib with the associated hardware installed.

I dont want to go into details because there's really no need, it's got a trailer and cat trax as well as hull covers. My question is how much would you pay for it? A mint condition Hobie 17 sport, let's say 1995-2000 year made, the serial numbers on the hulls weren't indicative of the year made unfortunately, I didn't know how to read them but can find out.

I heard about it through a friend for $3,400 dollars, but after the guy did some research and we met, the price came to be $6000.

So, is that a fair price? What would you pay? Thank you.

Last edited by Supergoldy on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

$6K would be an absolute top price a would pay for a 2000 H17S, but it would better come with a galv. trailer, box, new tramp and crisp, no delam sail, and dry hulls.

Otherwise closer to 3K is a fair price.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jackB wrote:
$6K would be an absolute top price a would pay for a 2000 H17S, but it would better come with a galv. trailer, box, new tramp and crisp, no delam sail, and dry hulls.

Otherwise closer to 3K is a fair price.

Thank you, I really appreciate the comment!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, $6k would be at the top end, but if the boat is as you describe - mint condition, approx 2000 model year, then I doubt you will get it for $3k.

I would think somewhere in the $4k to $5500 range, but it really all depends on the condition of the boat, how much demand there is in your area, and how motivated the seller is. All really subjective stuff.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 2000 H17Sport with trailer I bought in 2004. It was in very good shape with a couple small hull dings. I paid $6000.00 for it. It did not have many extras, just a hot stick and a jib snorkle (e.g., no sail box, no cat trax, etc.). If I was to sell it today I would aks about $5000.00, but it now has many refinements and additions (i.e., cat trax, a sail tube, new cross beams with integrated tracks, custom integrated jib track cars, heavy duty standing rigging, new to good sheets, two sets of sails in good condition (OME and a Whirlwind squaretop), extra rudder, extra centerboard, 8:1 downhaul, 7:1 mainsheet, well you get the idea). Hope this helps. 8)

P.S. I love the boat, it is great a solo boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Morning.

I'd like to point out the seller is an extremely friendly, knowledgable, and good guy and likely will sail with me after I purchase the boat.

I spoke again with him today and gave a new offer of $4000. After some back and forth, we settled on a new price of $5,000, plus I will have to purchase a main sheet system, his has a customer built (1 of 2 in existence) system that alone is worth a couple thousand in his eyes, I havent seen it but want to take pics for you guys. He wanted to patent and manufacture it. He was a supplier for Hobie in the late 70's and helped design some of the original 16 parts.

So yes, the boat has Cat Trax, a registered trailer, a custom 140 racing jib (he says alone worth over a thousand) with the traveling systems all installed of course, hull covers, a mast stepping system, all manuals and documents for the boat, harnesses and life jackets, and to top it off, he paid the beach fees for this season so it can stay where it's parked for easy launching. There are around 50 Hobies at this site (what a beautiful thing, even a Hobie Tiger was there!).

So it looks like my new question - is $5,000 a fair price to pay? From the sounds of who's responded so far, yes, this is a fair price. Again, there is no glass on the hulls and it's nearly a new boat. My uncle bought his 2001 17 new in 2002 for $8,000 so I'm thinking I am being given a fair price. I wanted to spend around $2k on a used Hobie, but after finding this I really am having trouble saying no.

Any comments are appreciated! Thank you so much, really looking forward to being a part of this community as a Hobie 17 Sport owner. I would love to do pics right now but work is slammed!

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

From what you describe, $5000 is still pretty high. Especially, without the main blocks, which set you back $400 -$500. Again, it is hard to say definitely without seeing the boat, and then what is your local market like.

Supergoldy wrote:
a custom 140 racing jib (he says alone worth over a thousand)

Question is -- what is this racing jib worth to you? H17S is not a racing class, I would guess, you would be happy with a stock jib (only guessing...) :wink: .

srm wrote:
If I was to sell it today I would aks about $5000.00, but it now has many refinements and additions (i.e., cat trax, a sail tube, new cross beams with integrated tracks, custom integrated jib track cars, heavy duty standing rigging, new to good sheets, two sets of sails in good condition (OME and a Whirlwind squaretop), extra rudder, extra centerboard, 8:1 downhaul, 7:1 mainsheet, well you get the idea).

This sounds much more what you are getting.

Supergoldy wrote:
extremely friendly, knowledgable, and good guy and likely will sail with me after I purchase the boat.

If you are a beginner, there is a definite value in this. Get him go sailing before you buy!

I would go with $4000 -$4500.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello again.

I'm betting that anyone following this thread is wondering what the outcome was. Well, I am the proud owner of a Hobie 17 Sport!

The week has been crazy, been at the boat every night prepping for this weekend, the weather looks gorgeous and sail worthy :)

Had to put together a main sheet system, downhaul system, lines, fix a trailer wheel, string the tramp, and tonight I am rigging and inspecting for sea worthiness :) Might have a beer too...

Thanks for all those who helped. Should be back with more questions soon...least I'll make this sub forum active haha. Hopefully will have pics for you all soon.

Also...might be looking to sell a custom square top main and the 140% jib
**EDIT**: sailed the boat with these sails...changed my mind :)

Last edited by Supergoldy on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My advice to anyone buying a used 17, get a good T-handle allen wrench (1/4" I believe) and make sure your crossbar bolts are tight. Also, when you have some time, take the crossbars off and make sure the end castings (the pieces that are screwed to the hull that the crossbar ends fit over) are screwed down tight. These bolts and screws have a tendency to loosen over time, and if neglected, the boat will become very sloppy.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the pleasure of accompanying Supergoldy on his shakedown sail last night. Absolutely gorgeous H17! His Calvert squaretop and super-sized jib are off the charts. Welcome to the fleet, B. I'll See you again tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brian,

I am jealous....you got to sail a Hobie I have not yet sailed. Enjoy.

Supergoldy, have a blast. You have a 'good' one there.

later

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Supergoldy wrote:
Well, I am the proud owner of a Hobie 17 Sport!

Hey Supergoldy, I think you owns us a picture or two :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Hey Supergoldy, I think you owns us a picture or two :wink:

You sir are correct:

Album: http://imgur.com/a/dpGMj

There's the album so far...unfortunately no pics with the jib up yet, but I did lay it out for ya...was too busy sailing!!! When the boat was on the trailer it was pre-purchase, the tramp wasnt strung yet. Only one pic with the main up and that Hobie Tiger I was talking about before...that thing is fast.

So yea, Brian with the 18 and I went out Saturday and Sunday....when I showed up Sunday he was fully rigged and it was blowing 10 with gusts to 14...he gave me his harness and we took off for a blast before I rigged my boat. We got that a hull up within a few minutes!! Also trapped out a couple times...could have used a bit more wind to trap with the hull up but hey, no complaints here!

His 18 is in great shape, what a fun boat.

I then took my Dad out for fathers day...he hasnt sailed a Hobie in 20 years...he loved it.

I did get to singlehand the boat on Saturday, went just fine...Saturdays winds were a bit calmer and perfect for my first single hand experience :)

More pics to come, probably not until the weekend though!

Last edited by Supergoldy on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fastcat wrote:
I have a 2000 H17Sport with trailer I bought in 2004. It was in very good shape with a couple small hull dings. I paid $6000.00 for it. It did not have many extras, just a hot stick and a jib snorkle (e.g., no sail box, no cat trax, etc.). If I was to sell it today I would aks about $5000.00, but it now has many refinements and additions (i.e., cat trax, a sail tube, new cross beams with integrated tracks, custom integrated jib track cars, heavy duty standing rigging, new to good sheets, two sets of sails in good condition (OME and a Whirlwind squaretop), extra rudder, extra centerboard, 8:1 downhaul, 7:1 mainsheet, well you get the idea). Hope this helps. 8)

P.S. I love the boat, it is great a solo boat.

Yes, this definitely helped and I ended up in to the boat for $5500 with all the little things I wanted to do after purchase, just had to buy some billet blocks, a main sheet system, downhaul system, and new line. Yea it's a little pricy, but that's not what I am using for a satisfaction rating. I wanted a boat in great condition that I could singlehand and get a lot of use out of...so far I am happy and everyone that's seen it and been on it has agreed it's a great boat. My dad even said it, which surprised me, he's a very critical guy. You guys are the only ones who know about the price though! Keep it hush hush haha.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the fast side of sailing. You are going to love your new boat. It works great in higher winds. I sailed against a FXOne in a local regatta last weekend with my factory sails (instead of my Whirlwind SuperR Squaretop) so they could use the Portsmouth numbers. I came in first in each of the 5 races, 4 on Saturday in mild air (5-10 knots) and 1 on Sunday heavy air (15 - 20+). Turns out the FXOne owner lives near by, so he plans to get in some high wind practice with me down at Wallula Gap http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=216&siteID=245&Isection=Local+Info
BUT I digress, per srm, if you take your cross bars off to inspect the end castings, ALSO check the under side of your cross bars for cracks, especially around the holes. I just replaced both my crossbars at the tune of ~ $ 1K (with shipping). Also consider replacing the front rollers of your trailer with saddles. There have been reports of the front rollers damaging hulls due to the small crossection of hull they support (especially when stepping the mast - extra weight). :wink: