Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All my accessories came from tackle shack in pinellas park florida. Give them a call or check them out. If you call ask for Richard Booze and tell him glenn sent you. He will take care of you.
http://www.tackleshack.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok so the marine goop didnt settle too well. I wasnt a fan of doing it in the first place so now im going to remove it and mount it externally on the stern. Not sure if i will use the anal probe or go with a ram mount on the grab rail.

Any suggestions welcomed....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is the goop after removed...im not sure what happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glenn,

I've never used the marine goop before, so I'm not sure what went wrong with the curing process. You could probably consider making one of the circular enclosures filled with water (and a lid on top) that some of the folks on the forum have made.

Humminbird made a kayak transducer mounting kit that works great for their transducers. I'm wondering if the non-DI kit would fit your Lowrance transducer. It's a clean setup where you affix the outer ring where the transducer sits in. Then you add the grease at the bottom and push the transducer down into it. A velco strap runs over the top to hold the transducer firmly in place. I believe that particular type of grease acts just like the grease they use for mammagrams and allows the signal to pass through without any interference.

Just throwing some suggestions out to you. My Humminbird transducer mount is pictured in the forums here:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=41489&hilit=transducer+kit

I put my transducer where you have the battery due to the smoothness of that area versus behind the mast post. The DI transducer is long and narrow, but the regular Humminbird transducer kit might work for your transducer.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the suggestion. The 50/200 lowrance transducer is a huge bich... i talked with several people and some say that i used too much goop, some say its a bad batch of goop, some say the fan caused over oxygenation...who knows. This time i did very little goop, no fan and a heavier weight on top. If this doesnt work its back to the drawing board. The other sad part is that the lowrance scupper transducer mount doesnt fit the 50/200 transducer...WTF?

Updates tomorrow night

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Outstanding, clean work. Thanks for taking the time to document it here. I look forward to the updates.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks great. What about mounting the transducer in the water?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will be purchasing a new tube of goop tonight to see if i got a bad batch or not. Ill be home in a few hours and ill post pics of attempt number 2. If it does not go well i will mount externally.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok just got home and inspected the goop. Same result. Went to home depot and they didnt have the marine goop just the white 5200 and the amazing goop. Ill try west marine or boaters choice tomorrow to see if i have any luck with a new tube. Im trying one more time and if i even have the slightest doubt of bubbles im yanking it out and going externally or going with the resivoir inside the hull.

Ill do some google searching but in the meantime ideas and suggestions are sincerely welcomed!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I mounted my VisiCarbon Pro with a Scotty mount on the back of the seat. It ends up about a foot higher (a good thing) than mounting on the hull and it is rarely in the way when I cast. I originally thought about mounting it on the stern but realize it would be in the way of the best re-entry point if I turtled.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok mcgyver visited me in a day dream. I wanted this install to be complete by sundays tarpon fishing trip.

Ingredients
Since i have a big transducer i decided to go with a 2.5 gallon bucket with a waterproof lid. I will be cutting almost all but 5" of the bucket off and siliconing it to the hull under the seat. I attached the transducer to the lid and reinforced it with little aluminum strips. It is not by far a sweet looking setup, however i am in the testing phase and i can tweek as i see fit. Here is the transducer lid after it is all done. Bucket install will follow tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

not a bad idea, *should* be OK once it's filled with water/grease

I have a humminbird in hull transducer kit i'll throw in my hatch so u can see if it will fit.

u goin to 'the spot'? I was plannin on being there sunday, maybe even tomorrow AM if conditions are OK....(got my stuff ready now!)

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, im going to "THE SPOT" tomorrow. Joey landed one today. Im getting off work in a few minutes. Ill call ya tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok so screw it...transducer arm is ordered. Cant take it anymore. Now i just need to brainstorm on how to mount the structure scan transducer...it never ends.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok new developments...

I ordered the 83/200khz transducer which is alot smaller. Ordered the lowrance scupper transducer kit. The small transducer will be under the kayak and when i get the structure scan it will be mounted on the transducer arm. Updates will follow as the goodies come in...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next