Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Thrashie - the Whipps products are a big exxy, so I kept looking and found these wheelchair ramps, which can be separated. They are each 15 inches wide and 69 inches long.
here they are as individual ramps. What appeals to me is the potential to use them without modification, as the surface looks arse -friendly. I will enquire what they look like on the inderside, as used upside down, with crescent-shaped openings in that outside rail, we can have horizontal location nailed, andthen just need tie-downs
At under $250 complete, we are looking at a very attractive solution!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just contacted them. The price on their website is $220, getting better all the time. Underneath are some reinforcing pieces, plus it is thicker on the bottom to support the hinges, so using them up the right way seems to be the go. Whether a 2 inch high "wall" at the back of a 15 inch wide bench would be uncomfortable is a moot point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Tony,
These also look good. I wish I'd seen them before I got the ladder! :roll:

Stringy, why would you prefer them to your ladder? At 17kg, even split in three, each segment will weigh 5.7kg (12½ lb).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
Whether a 2 inch high "wall" at the back of a 15 inch wide bench would be uncomfortable is a moot point.

get a jigsaw (or some kind of saw) and just cut the wall off.

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thrashie wrote:
tonystott wrote:
Whether a 2 inch high "wall" at the back of a 15 inch wide bench would be uncomfortable is a moot point.

get a jigsaw (or some kind of saw) and just cut the wall off.

Ramps look good and very solid with minimal modifications (But where is the fun in that).

The easiest way to get a clean removal cut would be to find some one handy with a tablesaw with a 60 plus carbide tip blade. They would be able to set the blade to 1/8" above the thicknes of the lip. Make sure they wear safty goggles as the guard will have to be removed for this operation and the aluminum chips will ruin your day without goggles.

We cut aluminum all day long with power equipment intended for wood. It cuts clean and can be debured with a metal file or even a hand sander.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks, I've been following this discussion for a few days as I eagerly wait for my new TI to arrive.
I work at Duke and frequently see gurneys and backboards used to lift heavy injured victims. I can't help but think a couple of these would work as haka bench seats! What do you think?
-Kid

http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Long-Spine-Backboard-7006B7006C/dp/B003XWZVKG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kid, Those look great. :mrgreen: I couldn't find the size on the web link page? No mention of holding weight also. :( If you have this info please post it.
Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kidkilowatt advances me for a second. Look!

Last edited by mbg on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Stringy, why would you prefer them to your ladder?

They look so much better! :mrgreen:

I'm only dreaming Chris.
They are shorter, heavier and a lot more expensive.
I'll be keeping my 'expedition' ladder haka. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kidkilowatt wrote:

Kid,
The aka span on a TI is 1.4m and an AI 1.5m.
I've tried 20mm plywood and it bends like a banana over those spans. You would need to add a truss of some sort. There are fibreglass 'scoop' spineboards available that might handle those spans but they are heavy and expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went fishing today my fishing partner had to cancel at the last moment and there was zero wind in the forcast. so I rigged for solo fishing with out the sails. Image ImageImage

I spent six hours fishing (not catching) and never sat anywhere other than the Haka. I could not believe how much it reminded me of catamaran sailing sitting high and dry with my feet against the side of the hull or dangling in the water.

The ATV ramp Haka was exceptionally stiff making it easy to stand up and walk around on. I was also suprised to learn that they float Image

After six hours I decided a seat cushion is in my future, also thought of a solution for where to put the paddle when using the haka and adding a method of preventing the Hakas from accadently coming loose in rough conditions.

ImageImage

I can't wait for the wind to return so I can sail from the Hakas, I think the Hakas have just replaced my tramps, I wish I had tried the Hakas a long time ago.

In case the photo do not show you can view all my Haka construction and modification photos on this link.
http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j35 ... em%20HAKA/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great test of your Haka!

But, I don't think the paddle will stay where you have it positioned in any larger chop or waves. If you can protect the leading edge of the paddle (mount it further back) then maybe, as long as a wave doesn't then come down on the rear of the paddle (following wave). I'm sure you will figure it out.

Looks really sharp!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stylish photo shoot, Louis! You're really helping to spread the "Haka Envy" movement.

I can tell you that, when you are sailing, you'll be moving around more on the boards for sure, so the lack of padding won't be so painfully obvious. Butt, cushions will help...

The paddle works quite well bungied or clipped to the outside Aka arm, (next to the bench). If you install locking clips or straps, you'll find that it can serve as a nice grab rail while you're hiking out.

Over time you may find it useful to screw, bolt or weld on "attachments" of your choosing.

Cupholders, anyone? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

KayakingBob wrote:
Great test of your Haka!

But, I don't think the paddle will stay where you have it positioned in any larger chop or waves. If you can protect the leading edge of the paddle (mount it further back) then maybe, as long as a wave doesn't then come down on the rear of the paddle (following wave). I'm sure you will figure it out.

Looks really sharp!

Bob & Nohuhu ,
I had not thought of a wave coming down on the boat, being land locked we do not experience large wave action very often. In anticopation of fall and winter waves or a visit to a salty body of water (if i am lucky) do either of you have pics of a paddle mounting arrangement that can handle large wave action and looks OEM?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your waves don't normally get very large, then hopefully your idea for paddle holder should work well for you. I'm not the best for suggesting locations for use with your Haka as I haven't used one myself yet.

I do know in rough seas my paddle has been dislodged anywhere a wave can get leverage under (or over) one of it's blades without it being protected. In rough conditions, I mount my paddles (a single blade 'T' grip, and the Hobie double) like the picture below (a very old picture with an old test Sprayskirt). This is not optimal for use with a Haka but maybe it will give you some ideas.

In calmer conditions, I often just use the Hobie OEM aka paddle holder(s) for the double blade paddle like most people.

I've visited your city a couple of times in the past when a friend lived there. Nice place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 88  Next