Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking to buy a pa 14 Im pushin the scales at about 400 pounds I'm not sure if the boat can handle me ...it says it has a 600 pound rating but I'm not sure if it's true ...if any one has any insight on this can you please answer some quick q's

Thanks big Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 250lbs and my son is 100lbs and we go on the PA14 together. We have no issues at all and I wouldn't hesitate to add my 2 year old to the boat as well. I would say you'd be fine in the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 320 and the pa handles me fine. Plus as you probably were thinking, just using the PA will help you lose some weight and the more you use it the better it will handle. I am going to buy an Adventure Island and the weight limit on that is 350, so im pushing the limits on that boat. however my way of thinking is that it gives me motivation to lose weight. the more I lose the faster I can go/carry more gear. Then eventually be able to go on the tramps. I say GET IT!!! It was made for guys like us so that we can get out on the water and not be stuck wishing we could.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pull the trigger, Big Ed. Get out there and enjoy the sport. The PA 14 can take whatever you throw at it. I'm 6'5" 250 and I put my wife on the back all the time. What better low-impact exercise then pedaling around in your Hobie!

Good luck and tight lines! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought mine at 350lbs + and have not had any problems. Lost 35lbs since my purchase :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What about standing stability guys?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hard to go from sitting to standing if your big, and although its stable in calm water, you probably wont do it to often. It is however very possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No question this rig is the the Caddilac of PWC/kayaks for us robost fellas, there are mabey only 2 to 3 others rigs that could or would be able to accomidate what we(bigger fellas who fish) are looking for.

I will be testeing out this baby PA 14 this weekend as for I am 6' for 330.. i will attempt some ninja moves, like as if i was 220lbs.

PS :good thing i float and i can swim.LOL

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was very impressed with the PA 14. The only thing I did not care for was the bait cutting board. I wish this was flat.has anyone cut this out and replaced with hatch similar to what the new PA 12 have?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought mine at 320# 20 months ago now 230# and less stressed. I fish every weekend. I'm not saying I owe all the wieght loss to the PA, but it did get me off the couch and back onthe water. Soon after I had more energy and started to eat healthier and hit the gym. It's a no brainer if you ask me. I have friends that can't afford to go fishing because of the financial burden of filling up the tanks with fuel. I can't afford not to go fishing... :D