Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BrianCT wrote:
I really need to invest in the sister clip setup because dealing with my current rats nest out on the water and getting everything tucked back into the zipper in 10-15MPH winds is a PITA. :lol:

Sounds like you're not rigging the jib properly. There should be no rat's nest of line and there should be very little line that gets tucked back into the zipper - only about 1 foot of the tensioner line. There are TWO lines used with the system and the long one (the halyard line) gets removed after the jib is hoisted - stow it in the tramp pocket.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
BrianCT wrote:
I really need to invest in the sister clip setup because dealing with my current rats nest out on the water and getting everything tucked back into the zipper in 10-15MPH winds is a PITA. :lol:

Sounds like you're not rigging the jib properly. There should be no rat's nest of line and there should be very little line that gets tucked back into the zipper - only about 1 foot of the tensioner line. There are TWO lines used with the system and the long one (the halyard line) gets removed after the jib is hoisted - stow it in the tramp pocket.

sm

Thanks very much. There's the problem right there - I haven't been removing the halyard line portion after hoisting. Rather, I've always just flat coiled it and zipped it into the pocket. It's a very small diameter halyard but still a pain to deal with as you can probably imagine. Thanks, got it now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well sounds like I've been doing it wrong as well... :oops:

I had wondered why I always had so much line left over when raising my jib. I think I'm going to just make 2 eye splices and see how that works out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FunkyWalker wrote:
I think I'm going to just make 2 eye splices and see how that works out.
Since there isn't very much pressure on the halyard when hoisting the jib, I get away with singeing the bitter ends to keep them from fraying and tying the two lines together with a square knot. You don't need to get too fancy with it and the small knot easily slips inside at the head of the jib.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sister clips are fine but in a worst case scenario, if you lose the line that you removed you are screwed, for me the coil is not a hassle and I am certain where it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sister clips for me, store the halyard in the tramp pocket. Never lost the halyard in 20yrs of sailing.

When I changed back to the H18 from the Fox I pulled the head off a jib by tensioning it like it had a wire stay. The minute I sheeted in hard it tore off. In the surf, during a lemans race start. Really sucked!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi
When I raise my jib with the sister clip system I end up with 6 inches of slack in the forestay. When you tighten the mainsheet does this remove that extra slack in the forestay? It always worries me that the small line of the jib halyard has all that tension normally carried by the forestay
Am I rigging it correctly?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ldjfilm wrote:
Hi
When I raise my jib with the sister clip system I end up with 6 inches of slack in the forestay. When you tighten the mainsheet does this remove that extra slack in the forestay? It always worries me that the small line of the jib halyard has all that tension normally carried by the forestay
Am I rigging it correctly?

You are not rigging correctly. You're likely going to break either the halyard or the jib. You need to pre-load the forestay before tensioning the jib halyard. Use the main halyard to hoist the boom about 3 feet up off the rear crossbar and tie off the main halyard. Then pull in a moderate amount of tension on the mainsheet so it pre-loads the forestay. Then you can set the jib halyard tension.

sm