Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

On my 21 SE I have always had water in my hulls after sailing and always thought that this was leaking thru the wing sockets. Both of my front wind sockets leak, but very slowly and I can not believe that much water can enter thru these sockets.

In preparing the boat the ther day, I opened the port covers and the cooler was full of water. I wondered how water would be able to enter the cooler and started to investigate. I closed the port cover and grabbed a glass of water and poured it over the hatch. EUREKA! The water flowed easily into the port cover.

The water comes thru between the port rim and the hull. What would be the best way to fix this leak?? Would it be best to just 5200 seal it or to drill rivets out and remount the port?

Has anyone had this problem? Ideas of the best fix? Looking forward to another great sailing season!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just replaced my access ports with Hobie's newer style 8" round twist-n-seal hatches (part # 7170211). I like this new design with the hinged lid and locking handle that recess flush with the deck. :D

I have replaced the original rope handled access ports with the screw in style and had a difficult time unscrewing them sometimes especially once sand found it's way into the threads.I first tried the white screw in style and they turned a pale yellow over time and looked bad. Then I replaced them again but this time I installed black ones and they weathered much better.

My new ones are really nice but let me warn you that you will have to cut out some of the fiberglass decking to install as these require a larger cut out size.And you will need to "cope out" some of the flange to fit into that "pocket" on your deck.Take your time to get the right fit.Tape off the deck so not to scratch it with the jig saw base.Cut out 3/8" all around your existing cut out size, than use a drum sander on a cordless drill to smooth your cut and improve your fit.Next,use a grinder with a sanding setup to trim under side of hatch flange to match your deck pocket.The spongy gasket that came with new hatch will try to slide out on the silicon as you tighten your screws so use a paint scrapper to hold it in place and reseal if necessary.You may choose to not use that gasket and just use silicon. :wink:

Again,take your time and you will like the results.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bill, can you post a picture of your ports? I want to do something about mine, but I'm having a little trouble visualizing what you did.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Bill! I posted the question then went out of town for the weekend and was unable to respond. Pictures would be nice if possible. Regards

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

unscrew remove ports clean out old sealant put in some dow 5200 replace fastener screws do not tighten for a day or so

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gary eudy wrote:
unscrew remove ports clean out old sealant put in some dow 5200 replace fastener screws do not tighten for a day or so

I would not use 5200 - it's permenant. You ever crack the port hole housing, lose the cover, or have any other problem with the port, you're screwed. I'd use marine silicone. It seals just fine but can be removed if necessary.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dow 5200 is pretty tough stuff however it is no match for a razor knife

I am very careful where I use the stuff

5200 is what is on my ports used to use silicone however a leak was always a problem

I threw away the screws and use SS locking nuts and SS machine screws

Placed as in previous posts
Former Hobie Admiral Gary 8)