Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shock Cord Termination
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

How are people terminating their shock cords in the following fitting?

I am getting ready to order stuff to add double cords to my amas and need to know if a knot will work or if I need to get the stuff to hog ring them.

If hog ringing is recommended, please include what size/type is required.

Thanks,
Herb

P.S. The above pic is just for explaining what I am asking better - I will be using the padeye fitting and drilling a hole in them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used a simple knot when I double bungee'd mine. They both fit fine in all connections. Some required me to rotate one or the other knot so they sat together well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Herb,
Have you read this post?
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40730

My variation is about halfway down, check it out. Simple and best of all... no more banging amas. I've made these for two of my friends on their TI's, they're very easy to install and to use.

I just tying knots on the ends of the bungees after I paper tape the ends and cut them to length with a red hot putty knife, no hog rings - they wouldn't fit inside the Pad Eye's with those buggers. I have also since switched to a measurement of 24 3/4" long for the bungees and drilling the holes in the Pad Eyes with a 23/64th's drill. Good luck with your project, call me any time.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

sun E sailor wrote:
Have you read this post?http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40730

I have, but I haven't had hardly any problem with "slap" so I am primarly looking for redundancy so am planning on a setup like in the following pic from NOHUHU. With this setup, if one cord fails there is another to back it up.

I also like this setup from stringy. However, I cannot seem to find these clips anywhere in the US.

BTW, I am also upgrading to the 5/16th inch bungee ... does anyone know if it can be used with the 2101 hook shown in the top photo (it's made for 1/4" cord)? There is also a 2102 hook made for 5/16th, but it doesn't have the adjustability that the 2101 hook does and cost twice as much. I also am concerned about it's holding power given the way the cord attaches to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm surprised if you haven't had any problems with "slap", that you would go to the trouble to do this mod. I don't remember anyone ever posting about a bungee that holds the ama on ever letting go. Plenty of other little issues to guard against, rather than one that has never happened. But, enjoy. :)