Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A friendly “Hello” to everybody

Live is funny and its interesting how ideas come out of nowhere.

We had regatta the last weekend and there was a little tri sailing on our racecourse beside the other tri’s that overtook us one after the other. Iam still forced to sail on a mooonoooomaran, so there are a lot of people sitting on 34’ of boat. My skipper has a broken toe, so he was at the helm instead of me and I had time to watch that trimaran. After the race I walked to the other side of the habour to have a closer look. It was a Tricat 22 daysailor wich looked interesting and a little “retro” with its strong curve in the sheer. Beside the tri there was a old Hobie 18. Hmmm, “Hobie 18 is retro too” I thought ... “or just old???? ...old????? ....... Cheap!!!! Old boats like the Hobie 18 are going away for 1500€ on Ebay, complete with trailer. You just have to find a good one.”

Suddenly there was some electric activity under my hair…...

Why not pick up the Hobie 18 and give it a mainhull to make cheap trimaran. Like Dick Newick did it with the Tremolino and the Hobie 16. The Idea was ( and is) somewhat ingenius. If you have (or can get) a Hobie 18 in good used condition it would be the cheapest possibility to go sailing and cruising on a multihull. Exept for the beams you can use every piece of the cat’s equipment for the tri, so you just have to build (and pay) the mainhull and new beams, nothing else what is expensive!

Today I looked for a good sailplan of the 18 and found one. I scaled it up to 1:20 scale and started freeship. Hmmm, how to make it??? I wanted a retro look to match the 18’s lines and as few material as possible. So, the best way to design it is like Newick or Greene did it in the 1980’s. Small and low hull, curved sheerline , big cabin with (short) wings placed direct on the uninterrupted sheer, same place where the beams will be. Of course it has my favoured modern sharpie hull with flared sides for simple, fast and cheap construction as well as good hydrodramatics.

And here it is ... the first sketch of the new trimaran’s mainhull with the H18 amas in place . LOA/LWL 6.4m (21’), BWL 0.65m (2’2’‘), Ratio 10:1, Hull draft 0.21m (8’‘).

A rough calculation for the needed basic material made it clear ... this boat will be really cheap!!!!!! 4 and / or 6mm plywood, marine grade Okume .... 10 sheets !!!!!!!, stringers will be nordic fir (or what you have in your area that is light and cheap). Following my experience you will need around 30kg of epoxy. (West 105 or similar). Two more sheets of 4mm ply for the interior ... some paint, consumables, bits and pieces ....thats it!

My next task will be to find an Hobie 18 that I can measure, so that the final design of the mainhull can be done to match the Hobie lines.

So far for now, Iam open for comments! And NO! , I will not build this boat, this a is a design project!!!!! But if somebody is interested in the design and wants to build it, feel free to contact me and we will see if I can speed up the design process.

A first sketch can be seen here ...

http://proafile.com/forums/viewthread/105/

Greetings from the North Sea Coast, Michel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Interesting things can come from old cats.. took about 18 or 20 inches out of the cross members... out for a winter test spin..... it really flies .... the RowB_Cat