Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey I am new to the forum but not so new to sailing. I have sailed on my father's O'day 22ft and I want to get my own boat.

I found a H16 about 100 miles away from me and I would like some advice from some Hobie veterans before I make the trip.

The owner says that everything is in good shape except there are some cracks in the starboard hull also I noticed there may be some damage on the front of both hulls. I have attached a few pictures and would like to know what a good price would be and if I should be worried about the cracks and if they can be repaired.
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

are the areas soft and moving around? try git rot on the entire area
NEVER let people walk or jump on the hulls
Former Hobie Admiral
note i put my git rot in the cooler and this gives some extra time use more git rot than you think you need

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the owner was vague on the cracks. so is 800-990$ reasonable for the h16 and trailer in its condition assuming everything else is in good shape?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, run away. If this is your first time with a Hobie, and have no experience or desire to do hull repairs, I wouldn't consider it. That is just me.

It can be fixed, probably, but this type of damage should REALLY drop the value of the boat. I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred bucks due to the risk of finding more damage.

If you do decide to get it and work out a deal that makes sense, there is plenty of advice and pictures on here to get it fixed. But do yourself a favor if you decide to get it, negotiate like crazy and get a good deal. There are GOOD boats out there ready to sail for $800, you just need to look a bit more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the advice.. i'll pass on this boat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the end, I think you will be thankful. I know it is tough to pass on a fun boat when it drops in your lap like this one, but to keep the boat light, that hull sandwich is structural. If it isn't repaired correctly, it could fail and that always happens at the worst time. When they fail, the hulls just break in two, then the mast comes crashing down - usually as you are racing back to shore in big wind trying to beat a big storm that sprung up out of nowhere.

I got a great craigslist app for my phone that alerts me when anything with HOBIE in the ad gets posted in the 3 regions near where I live. On average, 5-8 Hobie 16's get listed each week, along with gear and other items. Depending on the area, you will find a solid boat at a fair price pretty quickly. Let us know what you find!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sailaxin, this 16 is not "like new", but considering the price, does not look like a bad deal to me.
If you will be sailing hard and competing, this is not the right one, but if you just want to have fun and sail around, before you delete it, you should consider looking for a Hobie experienced Pilot who can take a close look at those hulls and tell you if the cracks are serious or just external gel-coat cracks.
Truly, if you can and want to afford a better boat, keep looking, but if you are looking for a good deal with a small investment, this might be a good buy.
You have only two choices, either find a good friend who knows a lot and can go and test-sail and inspect your boat prior to buying, or buy a new one or like new one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for chiming in, Johnnymoto. I feel kinda badly giving the advice I gave without some additional inputs. It is hard just looking at the photos.

Do others agree with what I am saying? I would not be offended at all by others chiming in if you think I am wrong. At the end of the day, we are only going by what we can see in a photo, which isn't the same as beeing there and pushing in on those softspots.

If you can take someone from the Hobie community with you to inspect it, that would be best!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

8-900 gets you a solid boat that will need minimal amounts of work and parts to get sailing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ASDASC,
I do agree with you man.
I just pointed out the fact that an "on site" evaluation from an experienced seaman will do a more accurate judgement.
You show sincere comradery, you show a lot of respect and your call is wise.
You show honest comradery by explaining your thoughts, you show you are a good person who cares about the new guy.
Thanks for you honesty. You are, a Comrade.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

By the way, the man in the photo seems like a good fellow, his son ( or grandson ) is with him, and that shows he is a good man. I believe you can trust him, a bad person will not smile for a camera if he`s into something fishy.
8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well I email the owner back and he said he would take $400 for the trailer,Hobie and some extra parts. Should I at least make the 100mi drive and check it out. I don't know anybody close by who is a Hobie expert so it would just be a friend and myself checking it out. I have been looking for a couple weeks and havn't seen much out there. I really want to get out sailing on the Rappahannock River.

A few more questions...If it doesn't come with the trapeze harness and rigging for them should that reduce the price further?

And is it reasonable to trailer and set up to sail for a day as I dont live right on the water?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

FYI: you can ask ahead of time if he'll rig it with you there as a "lesson" which would be valuable for you but also makes sure all parts are there and in order. that is if you are serious about it when you arrive and want one last reassurance before the purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well Im postponing my trip to the go see the boat until I hear from you guys. I'd rally like to get some questions answered from my previous post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Normally, the small stress cracks in the gelcoat wouldn't bother me on a boat that old. However, those are very long and seem to "frame up" a soft spot. That's the most likely (and worst) place for a soft spot. The boat also looks like it was left in the water for extended periods.....not good. The parts are probably worth $400, but, if you want to actually sail, save your gas money for a better boat!

I expect a boat to have trap wires but not necessarily come with a harness. (Everything in such a deal is relative however.) While a lot of work, it is definitely reasonable to travel to the lake for the day. I don't because I'm spoiled with mast up lakeside storage, but others do it all the time. As you probably know from the O'day, you don't just jump on a sailboat and go. You have to be able to embrace and enjoy the set-up, tuning, take-down, etc. It's all part of the experience!