Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I picked up my PA12 today and headed straight to the lake. I put in and everything was....ok...for a bit, then as I turned sharp I noticed the boat listing a LOT. It seemed heavy as if it was filling up with water. I watched the girl at the dealership take the plugs out and put them back in tight at the store before I left. As I turned sharply to the left, over the right side I went with the kayak following me. Lucky I was in shallow water! I gathered all my lose stuff and went to get back in. Again the kayak suddenly came over on top of me. I looked inside the middle compt. where the tackle boxes are and saw lots of water.. really not sure if this got in when flipped or if it was there already. I then checked the plugs in the back and they werent tight as I would tighten them but they were secure. I did have to get a new phone...had it in my front pocket taking pics... I took the boat home, put it on two ice chests and filled it up with water.... no leaks???? Im stumped. But!! they are pretty easy to turn back over in shallow water... :D Also, noted there is one of the black styrofoam blocks loose in the hull. I see where it goes but cant get it back in...anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It has to be some sort of weight distributed crack. The crack opens up when you sit on it but when you are out of it the crack seals back up. Im no expert with kayak leaks but if you have a waterproof camera stick it in the hull with a flashlight and see if you can video the leak. Check the seams around the mirage drive hole, scupper holes, and not sure about the transducer area but check that too. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks.... appreciate it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well thank goodness there is NO leak in my kayak. I have come to the conclusion that: DO NOT TURN SHARPLY WHILE IN THE HIGH VANTAGE SEATING POSITION..IT WILL GO OVER ON YOU...I confess to operator error. But no one told me. I assumed this "tank" of a kayak could not be flipped...Im new to kayaks. Lots to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BillyH wrote:
Well thank goodness there is NO leak in my kayak. I have come to the conclusion that: DO NOT TURN SHARPLY WHILE IN THE HIGH VANTAGE SEATING POSITION..IT WILL GO OVER ON YOU...I confess to operator error. But no one told me. I assumed this "tank" of a kayak could not be flipped...Im new to kayaks. Lots to learn.

Thanks for the "HEADS UP". Or in your case "HEADS DOWN". Really glad to hear there is no leak in your yak.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BillyH wrote:

You have re confirmed what can happen if the PA 12's seat is in the high position in a sharp turn. The link below showed that reality with a turnover and pictures of the PA12 in a sharp turn with a high seat.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=43148