Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has tried out this RAILBLAZA gear. Is it as good as it looks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=514DMzfus8w

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Enthusiast wrote:
Hi, Just wondering if anyone has tried out this RAILBLAZA gear. Is it as good as it looks?

If you google it west marine sells it.

I just took a look at the link you posted and then turned around and ordered the pair of bases, VHF radio holder and smaller grip. I really have been looking for a radio holder and that looks to fit the bill. Once I get them in I'll post what I think of it.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The importer, Railblaza uk ltd, is apparently offering it for 5% off 2012 retail prices until may 29th. You can probably contact them on facebook or the web. Be worth clubbing together orders from the groups to save on carriage I expect. Let me know what you think of it. Is it good quality?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Might want to keep the radio with you as oppossed to mounted in the boat. If you get knocked out and/or seperated from the kayak it would be better to have the radio with you.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ecduzitgood wrote:
Might want to keep the radio with you as oppossed to mounted in the boat. If you get knocked out and/or seperated from the kayak it would be better to have the radio with you.

Was concerned about the same thing. But want to get up and away from the side of the seat. I figure with the PA even if I get knocked off it I'm not going to far away from it. I like having the ability to hear it, speaker up front facing me and with weather alert being able to hear it easily. It currently isn't attached to my vest anyway but always in reach.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree that the best place to be if you separate from your boat is on a tether to it. Your radio is far less likely to be lost safely secured to the boat and since you'll know exactly where it is, it'll be easier to grab it when you're in the water.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Enthusiast wrote:

I recieved the order and the items are solidly built. They give you all the hardware for the base mounts. You can surface or flush mount the bases.

The bases have a slide style locking system, they are a solid lock.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi did you get a chance to use them over the weekend? How do they work out on the water?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

No haven't even had a moment to install them much less use them yet. I purchased the personal device holder and base. I also puchased the universal holder, it looks like a y with rubber hold down strap. like everything else giving it a couple days to figure out location.

I stripped all my tackle off the kayak after fri fishing. I have to much and most I don't use. Time to slim down the size of tackle also now that the blues are smaller and fluke are the next target.

Now that the seabass is open, I'll be out on the boat for the first time this season on thurs. Time to use it also.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would be trying out that one. It does hold everything. Does it have any extra space for holding batteries? I always bring along batteries for my radios as you'll never know how much time you'd be in the water. Communication is of primary importance for me (got a family on land), which is why I am a stickler when it comes to these things.

Have any idea how much the whole system costs?

Last edited by TScott27 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No idea about batteries. Sure you could rig something easily. If you're up for safety though, Odeo Flares are cool. Something like 5 hours burn! Saw them on the railblaza facebook page but I don't think they sell them. Will let you know if I find a dcent dealer that'll do postal.