Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok gang. Need some feedback on a push pole to also use as a stake out pole.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

www.mudhole.com has carbon fiber pushpoles that might do the trick for you. Great value for the money. Just not sure it they'll be exactly what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Tom. I don't need anything that expensive. The wife is ready to kill me as it is for all the fishing related expenses. I'm in Vermont and don't need a serious flats stick, just something for the shallows.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just use a stick it stake out pole. I don't do any serious poling with it though, if I'm standing up and want to move through the water I usually just use the paddle.

They're pretty cheap, about $50 for the 5'-5" kayak version.
http://www.stickitanchorpins.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SMAN555 wrote:
Thanks Tom. I don't need anything that expensive. The wife is ready to kill me as it is for all the fishing related expenses. I'm in Vermont and don't need a serious flats stick, just something for the shallows.

I have a Wang stake out pole. They run $80 for up to an 8 foot model if you order directly from Wang. It's a solid fiberglass pole with a stainless steel tip. It does the "y" foot on the opposite end so it can be used as a push pole.

I went the homemade PVC route initially, but after getting this pole, it made the homemade one look bad. Love the pole and will getting a second one.

http://www.wanganchor.com/

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wang might just be the ticket. Do you have it mounted on the side?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SMAN555 wrote:
Wang might just be the ticket. Do you have it mounted on the side?

I have been using it through the scupper holes as the first homemade anchor trolley I made didn't suit my fancy so I took it off and filled the small holes.

I just got the last parts I needed and will be building a dual anchor trolley setup (one on each side on top) similar to what Bubble boy posted in another thread). I like the idea of having an anchor trolley on each side that runs from just in front of the side rails back to the stern and are mounted on top so the sides are kept clean.

Based on using the PA so far, the ability to put a pole down on each side in the rear area (or an anchor and one pole) would make it easy to position the PA and hold it at that position regardless of the current or wind direction.

While I do like the rod storage of the PA14, I never fill the rod storage areas up. I have the Hobie rod extension tubes in the back rod holes and 2 Cabelas Quick Draw rod holders mounted up front. When I'm on the water with 4-5 rods, usually 2 are in the back and one in each fron rod holder. If I take a 5th rod, that one will be in the rod storage.

I usually carry the Wang SOP in the upper left rod storage tube and if fits perfectly. The key for me since I bought a PA and started Kayak/Personal Fishing Craft (PFC as Hobie calls it) fishing is that the less clutter I have up front, the nicer it is. I didn't mount anything on the side rails as that make is so easy to just sit down in the seat if you're lanching the PA from shore or a ramp.

I've been really happy with my PA14 and if I take some pictures of the anchor trolley setup, I'll try to get pictures all around with the PA rigged for fishing as well.

I'll probably post pictures by Sunday after I get it installed.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought a 10' length of 3/4" fiberglass rod from Grainger's for about $30 dollars. I cut it at 6' to suit the majority of my needs but also made another out of the four foot piece for when I'm in shallow ponds and creeks. I took a mop head and modified it to a 'Y' for the push end, or you could use a PVC 'T', and I bought the stainless steel tip of the Wang Anchor because I anchor in a lot of rocky areas to keep the fiberglass end from splintering, but sanding to a point is fine for most applications. It works awesome either using the trolley or sliding it through a scupper hole and has held my position in in 15+mph winds.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since I mentioned posting pictures of my dual anchor trolley setup, here they are. Tropical storm Debbie kept me off the lake today, but that's fine as we really needed the rainfall. My lake is about 3-4 down, so areas that are normally 5-6 feet deep are now 1-2 feet deep.

The anchor trolley setup was easy to do. Drilling that first 3/8 inch hole into the top of the PA made you think for a minute...lol. But I'me sure it will work just as well as the one Bubbleboy made and I'm looking forward to the next trip on the water.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass