Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had some "Bassboat Saver" left over and have been using that to wipe down my Pro Angler but I am running low and it is expensive.

What do you all use on your kayaks?

---

Salt: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeb5zOGDfoKlEPsMK5GBUOge_Qz5u2koH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use a product called 303 Aerospace, found at an RV dealership. It is supposedly THE best UV protectant. Just wipe on. It does leave the surface very slippery, which is both good and bad. It reduces drag from the water, but also makes the hull hard to grip. When I need to tip my PA14 to get the trolley in, the whole boat wants to just slide across the ground rather than roll up and over, for example.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also use 303 and get it at Ace Hardware. It's about $17 for a 16oz bottle. You can also use Armorall, but it offers no UV protection.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We offer both cleaner and UV protection prays from McNett - many post on this subject around here - but we found that the McNett product penetrates and doesn't wash off as fast as the 303.... so that's what we sell.
You can find the Hobie cleaner and UV protectant at your Hobie Kayak Dealer - toll free 1800hobie49 or use the finder linker at the top of this page http://www.hobiecat.com/support/dealers/search/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do folks really clean and UV coat their kayaks?

I store mine inside so I have never felt the need to do so. I would imagine that the number of hours in the sun from just fishing are not enough to cause any issues. Plus, I do not want to wash off the protective coating of fish slime and blood that I have worked so hard to apply :)

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some folks do and some folks don't... apparently.

Personally between expeditions I leave my kayak in an all-over kayak cover called a "Garage". They are pretty expensive if you were to buy one but mine was left behind by the previous owners when we bought our house so it was pretty much free. The good thing is it has a SPF of over 50 so UV is not a problem and is waterproof and largely windproof - it certainly keeps my kayaks, boat and fishing kit in pristine condition. :P

I am more interested in what other people on this forum apply to their cars to protect them... you see, the attractive and functional ferric oxide finish on mine is beginning to flake off and leave unpleasant stains that look like rust stains on my driveway.

I am wondering what I can do about this before it gets too bad as I fear that in the long term it may have an impact upon the vehicle's ability to transport me and my kayaks to exciting new destinations not to mention its resale value.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

UV degredation is polyethelene's biggest drawback. You can find articles all over the net that tell you the same and what it does to your yak. I always apply 303 on the top exposed areas. I use 303 because it's proven and i can get 32oz bottles for around $20.00. I won't buy the Mcnett because it only comes in smaller amounts.

Contrary to what some have you believe you do have to apply it far more than twice a year to maintain adequate protection.

Yak manufacturers want to sell you yaks so prolonging the lifespan of their products is not very business smart lol.

If you read up on purchasing used kayaks nearly all experts determine it's worth by how much UV it has recieved, the more exposure it has had the shorter the lifespan because the boat will become brittle and cracking becomes an issue if you were to drop it onto a hard surface or bang into a hard object.

I personally know of a few offshore yakkers that will never take a yak offshore if it has seen much UV exposure simply because of the chance of a sufdden crack is that much higher. Keep your boats protected especially around all the fittings and hardware locations because these areas are especially prone because of added stresses applied.

Take two pieces of polyethelene plastic and leave them out in the sun with one having been treated with 303 and one that hasn't and see for yourself what happens after awhile.

Yak manufacturers stick with poly because it's durable and super chreap and will need replacement unless you exclusivelly fish at night where UV can't start to wreak it's destruction.

Still have doubt's, google poly and UV degredation and read the countless articles about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I use Hobie Protectant. 303 is very popular and does a good job, but after testing both side by side on the same hull, the Hobie product goes on my boats. It lasts longer and reduces friction on the hull bottom better. The difference is not great, but noticeable. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roadrunner wrote:
I use Hobie Protectant. 303 is very popular and does a good job, but after testing both side by side on the same hull, the Hobie product goes on my boats. It lasts longer and reduces friction on the hull bottom better. The difference is not great, but noticeable. 8)

I wouldn't put it on the bottom of the hull because it's not necessary for protection and some does always end up in the water and thats never good.

Hobie needs to offer it in much larger containers but keep it reasonably priced.