Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CA - Avila Beach
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everybody. New to the board. Have bben sailing a mid-70's 14 9non-turbo) up in NorCal (lake Sonoma and lake Hennesy) but am going to be vacationing in Avila beach 2nd week of july. I am just curious of sailing conditions at port San Luis? the little information I have found leads me to believe that it can be pretty challenging. I am a novice, so just checking for anything I should be careful of. Thanks for any input

Jim

Post subject: Re: Avila Beach
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for it. There is a public access ramp at Port San Luis which allows driving on the beach (if I remember correctly), although beware of getting stuck in the sand. If you have beach wheels or help carrying the boat to the water and back then do that.

Winds are usually pretty light in the immediate port area down to Avila Beach due to the headlands, but beware of sailing past the jetty as the winds can really pick up out there in the afternoon.

Beach launching is easy since the waves are small and the water is pretty shallow. The water can be cold. You'll need to sail around a bunch of moored boats to get clear water. Wear a life vest, stay near shore, and sail within your abilities. And have fun.