Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Gang - I just acquired a 9 year Bravo that is a grizzled veteran. It has several deficiencies, all of which I can repair.

This one in particular has me concerned. The previous owner explained that this crack was caused by attaching a trailer winch line to the A frame and cinching it forward waaaay too hard. There is a matching crack on the other side, but not nearly as severe.

My first thought is to drill a 3/16" hole at the end of each crack in an effort to stop further progression. And then filling with 5200.

Is this a high stress area in general? Do I need to try more radical surgery?

What sayeth the experts on this fine board?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I hope the lack of replies means that the problem is insignificant. I'd hat to think it's because it is so bad the NO ONE wants to give me the bad news!

If it becomes a problem, it looks like GFLEX epoxy plus cloth is one solution. Another might be to try one of the plastic welding tools.

We shall see.

We did have a great couple of weeks sailing. Here is my son and my niece flying high:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not an expert on the structure, but if you keep the kids close, the crack is on top, not on the water line, than it should be ok.

The tripod does experience a lot of force, and the only thing I would guess that could open that crack would be having the mast being pulled to the bow of the boat. That's not something that happens regularly. It can't hurt to see how it holds, but I would inspect it regularly.

Glad to see the kids are having fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:55 am 
Site Admin

The only way to repair a crack like this is plastic welding. Nothing sticks well to polyethylene. We have a tool called a KC Welder Pro that can do the job. Luckily the Bravo is made from linear polyethylene and it can be welded.

As noted, this area is highly loaded and I can't guarantee it will last over time.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt - Sure appreciate it. I'm watching it closely right now and will let the board know if I tackle a weld.