Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Out for a 25 miler and bumped into some weather on Saturday. When I started out, clear, warm skies with temps in the high 60º's F (which sadly is quite good for Seattle). In under 20 minutes the water went from light chop, to 6' wind waves on colliding tides and winds. Very fun, but slow going.

http://tmblr.co/ZBIdSwN_iZM0

I have gotten into the habit of always having my wetsuit kit with me in a dry-bag for my longer kayaking days (I can't imagine what it would take to get into a wet suit in a sit-in kayak... haha). Curious if other northern latitude (or southern hemisphere) Kayakers do the same.

Also, for those of you who are iPhone users, I have been on a crazy long search for a truly waterproof case. Have tried several out and most lack functionality when encased, or aren't truly waterproof. Came accross the lifeproof iphone case, so far, very impressed.

Graduating from adventure junkie to dealer. Get your fix at http://www.fasterfarther.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Even though I mostly kayak in placid inland waters, England isn't warm (probably similar climate to Seattle) and I almost always wear a drysuit, right from the start of the trip. My local river, the inland Thames, carries a lot of leisure traffic, and a few people drown in it every year. I believe a lot of the problems are caused by cold shock. People hit the water unexpectedly, gasp, inhale water, and don't come up.

If the air temp is high, I don't wear much under the drysuit. This would be bad strategy for long-term immersion, but the drysuit will still protect me from that immediate cold shock. I personally don't get a gasp reflex from putting my head in cold water, but I do if I immerse my body, unprotected.

A drysuit is more comfortable than a wetsuit, so (except in rare "hot" weather) I don't even have to think about it, I just wear it.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Being a Pacific Northwet paddler, I wear a farmer jane wetsuit and my life vest together almost always. In the summer if it gets too warm, I take a dip. The rest of the year, I add a polypropolene (?) rash guard suit as well. :lol:

Big Red (my first Outback)
Nautawake (Outback I bought for Hubby)
Nautayachta (Sport for the grandkids)