Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are two problems here, with no easy solution.

1. Canada is a 'small' market...both in terms of population and in terms of weather (less time to sail). Florida has nearly 19 million souls, with year round sailing. Compare that to Saskatchewan, then ask yourself how can any watersports retailer make a living? Answer is something like 'try harder', which is what they do.

2. While drop shipments work great in the lower 48 states, there are no simple solutions or cheap answers when we look at the cross-border issues. Those are matters that should be addressed to the Minister of International Trade in Ottawa. If there were easy answers, wouldn't the Mothership have used them?

Nor am I suggesting that we all pack up and head south to sunny Florida. Let's give Morton and the Mothership all the support we can. We all need each other.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Found the part Stateside...received in 2 business days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RobDek wrote:

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes but all you people in Florida are forgetting that when the polar ice caps melt you all will be under water and I, living in Saskatchewan will have ocean front property. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Why all the restrictions on parts orders? Does it really matter if I place an order for a catamaran part through a kayak dealer, especially if I have the part number?

Remember... Hobie dealers are not Hobie owned. These are independent small businesses.

For a dealer to invest in stocking catamarans, the return is the ability to sell parts and accessories for them. That is a major portion of the business model that makes it work for them, so we do not sell catamaran parts through kayak only or non-sailing dealers. We protect sailing dealers from unfair competition. They invested in the promotion of the sailing products. They should get the sales.

One of the biggest issues in getting back ordered parts into Canada is the tax and duty structure. We ship parts to US domestic dealers as they become available, but for Canada, we have to match these parts to a larger order to avoid the separate clearance charges for the dealer / consumer. It makes it a bit more complicated.

As Morten mentioned. We do pretty well keeping items in stock, but dealing with thousands of part numbers... there is always something that seems to cause an issue. Especially when considering replacement parts on boats we discontinued many years ago. If we get a run on a part that is not commonly sold... we may run out for a period.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RobDek wrote:

Glad you got it Rob. I just spoke with Jacques at Hobie and he agreed that most dealers wouldn't normally stock the part you were looking for, so great that you found it. Thanks for calling us to let us know you did get it.

It sounds like the part just came without any brokerage costs or clearance charges. This is what Canadian dealers have to contend with. Every single shipment we receive from the US, whether duties apply or not, have brokerage costs of a minimum $25/shipment up to $200+. Whenever a private individual has a shipment come across the border, it's a hit and miss with respect to getting any extra charges. So if someone has a part come up without any charges once, this person rightly assumes that this is just the way it is, until the next time when the package does come with clearance and brokerage charges. Canada Post and UPS, for example aren't consistent in how they charge private individuals, but businesses?, every single time, we get charged. Thus, we are forced to consolidate our shipments more so than US dealers.

I'm not complaining, just trying to help explain why things are different in Canada than the US.

Another good way to look at it is Canada's population is less than the state of California but we're spread out over 6 time zones. In a northern climate like we have (short season) and with our customer base spread out like it is, it adds to our challenges.

I've had many similar questions as to why we have higher prices, why the extra waiting time, why this and why that? I've tried to find the reasons, so I can try and find the answers, but sometimes the answers are out of my control. Duties, (outdated for 2012) are one of those which are controled by the Canadian government. Hopefully, they will look at these old rates and reduce them to allow all Canadian retailers a more level playing field.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on. Thanks to all for your support and comments.

Regards,
Morten

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Morten Fogh wrote:
Canada Post and UPS, for example aren't consistent in how they charge private individuals,

Yes, they are. From my experience -- if you have a small packaged at a value $25 or less they will let you go. Anything above $100 -- they always hit you with a fee. UPS is the worst. Last time, and only time, they hit me with a 40% of the package value. Avoid UPS like a skunk. :evil:

Again, thanks Morten for getting involved in the forum. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jackB wrote:
Avoid UPS like a skunk. :evil:

JackB
I'm in total agreement with you about UPS...based on personal experience over the years. I'll pick FedEx any day if I need parts for my hobbies (including Hobies), unless the local dealers can provide them quicker than I can on my own.

On the subject of Canadian Hobie Dealers, I have had nothing but helpfull, considerate, courteous service from Alberni Outfitters in Nanaimo, BC where I bought my '12 AI and Compass Point Adventures in Comox, BC where I purchased my used '11 Wave.

I realize that Canada is a relatively small market for Hobie and tax and duty structures can be frustrating to most of us who live here.

However, try living on a Canadian island where things just take a bit longer to get here (it teaches one the true meaning of the word, Patience...).

On another thought, maybe consider the logistics if you lived in the Hawaiian Islands. Having to wait 3 weeks to get delivery on a custom part made there for my AI, it makes waiting an extra day for delivery on Vancouver Island (and other remote areas of Canada), rather meaningless, imho. (I can only assume that it also takes the same amount of time to get delivery from the US Mainland to Hawaii)

Trinomite
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada