Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am an owner of the original Pro Angler since summer of 2010, and picked up a Pro Angler 12 the last couple weeks of May 2012, and I love it!

The PA12 is about 2 feet shorter and slightly narrower than the original, which makes it slightly less stable when standing, but you quickly get used to this.

it is also 20 pounds lighter (give or take), which doesn't sound like a lot, but it is very noticable when transporting because the original is a beast, and the smaller hull also accelarates easier/faster and has a higher top speed in the water.

Another important thing is the center storage hatch on the PA12 is basically flush mounted with the deck, so it is much easier to turn around when standing up, which is kind of tricky on the original PA because the center hatch is in the way.

I have not surf laucnhed either, but the PA12 seems that it would be way more practical for doing so vs. the original. I don't think I'd attempt it with the original, but think I will be at some point with the PA12.

The PA12 has 4 horizontile rod holders instead of six which some may not like, but in my opinion, the 6 rod holders isn't very practical on the orignal because if you actually have 3 rods on either side, it just ends up being a cluster F, so I am not at all dissapointed to have 4 instead of 6.

The front hatch is slightly smaller, but I can still fit all my stuff in it.

The transducer mount is awesome because it lets water into the area where the transducer is mounted, but obviously not into your hull, so you get an accurate water temperature reading from your transducer.

And don't forget the new seat is sick... super adjustable and comfortable, and you can remove it to use while on shore, and store a couple tackle boxes underneath.

The PA12 is a fishing machine, and if you have an original PA, and are wondering if you should switch, I would say do it if you have the $$$.

No I do not work for Hobie or get paid to promote their products, I just like the PA12 that much!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:D Thank you. I have been waiting for such a post. Even any post that compares the 14 with the 12. I have a 12 on order and is due in about 3 weeks. But if given bad press I may have bought the Outback or waited for a tricked 14. So a comparison from someone who owns both is of great value.
My guess is I dont have any choice of colour as mine will be one of the 2 allocated to each dealer. I think I would be happy with any colour, but the yellow/Mango would be my last choice. So I am guessing that is what I will get allocated : ) If anyone has the afore mentioned Mango colour and would care to comment I would appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The seat does look super comfortable but is probably the least desirable change in my eyes. I like to be able to turn sideways in my PA 14 seat and that wouldn't be an option in the new PA12. Even when casting to the hard left or right I tend to angle my body in the seat to help with the retrieve.

I'll be in the market for another Hobie to add to the fleet come tax season. Not sure which one I'll be getting yet. Kinda leaning toward an Outback just for the portability when compared to the PA, but if I demo and don't like it I'll definitely be considering the PA12 or even another PA14. If the seat change is done in the PA14 for 2013 then I'll probably look for a left over PA14.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank You! I was on the fence on which way to go and you have given me the push I needed. That being said I think the 12 would have been my huckleberry anyway. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

how do you find the steering of the PA12? I found when peddling my friends 14 that I was constantly having to adjust the steering...

is the tracking of the PA12 better?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

unrealshots wrote:
how do you find the steering of the PA12? I found when peddling my friends 14 that I was constantly having to adjust the steering...

is the tracking of the PA12 better?

The PA12 is about the same... when you own one you get used to it and probably won't notice after a couple hours on the water.

The PA12 also has steering controls on both sides of the boat which is pretty nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You cannot simply point a boat and expect it to travel in a straight line. Wind, waves, your movement, etc., preclude that happening. I have to constantly steer my car - I can't just take my hand off the wheel, at least not for more than a few seconds.

Constant course corrections are normal for all boats.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On steering the PA 12. I have owned an outback since 2009. I have logged about 1000 miles or more based on my GPS/fishfinder. I just recently added the PA 12 to my fleet. (I guess two boats makes a fleet :D) . If I had one comparison note, that I would like to see improved, that is the loose steering. Granted I have the larger sail rudder on my Outback. But if I let the steering handle loose on my Outback, the boat would maintain a pretty good line.. granted current and wind does affect the true line. But the boat maintains the direction. The PA 12 is loose when it comes to steering. I am used to having both hands to get a fish into the boat...Now I have to constantly adjust the steering. I have also noticed that when drifting along with the wind. The boat has a difficult time steering away from the direction of the wind. Example: Wind coming from the north. Drifting at .5 mph to the south. Facing due east. If I turn to the north or to port...the boat responds immediately. If I turn to the south or starboard, the boat initially starts turning to port. It takes about a half dozen or so peddles to get it to track to starboard. I am guessing the sideways flow of water from the drift is causing the rudder to respond differently??? I have checked the tension on the rudder cables. I am new to the PA world...Is this a known issue with PAs?? It is not too hard to get used to, it is just very different from the Outback. It will take some time especially when I am fighting tides and other obstacles like bridge pilings. I will say I am very impressed with the turn ratio compared to the outback. This thing will almost turn in a circle on center once you get the rudder to bite. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Pesky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Took my new PA 12 out for the first time today. I also noticed the steering issue. While I was in windy conditions and chop, had to continually make corrections as compared to my Outback. However, at the end of the day (6 hours later) apparently the problem went away as I got use to it. :wink: Part of the problem I figured out was over correcting the rudder. The PA 12 is much more sensitive than the Outback.

Overall impression is.... awesome! Can't say enough about the way it handled. Really enjoyed standing and fishing while on a long drift down the ICW.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Pesky wrote:
On steering the PA 12. I am new to the PA world...Is this a known issue with PAs?? It is not too hard to get used to, it is just very different from the Outback. It will take some time especially when I am fighting tides and other obstacles like bridge pilings. I will say I am very impressed with the turn ratio compared to the outback. This thing will almost turn in a circle on center once you get the rudder to bite. Any feedback will be appreciated.
The rudder set-up is entirely different on the PAs than the rest of the Hobies. The closer the rudder is relative to the boat's center line, the slower the response, the tighter the turn radius and (flip side of the same issue) the more unstable the tracking. In this regard, the prominent skeg goes a long way to mitigating stability issues.

Because this rudder sits under the boat in a channel between two hull protrusions, the relative water flow pattern and speed over the rudder are different compared with the stern mount outboard rudder.

This would explain the different response and feel with the PAs. Overall, most people really enjoy the difference once they get used to it. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pesky, You have experience with the Outback and the PA12. Would you be concerned pedaling the PA12 as many miles as you have the Outback?
I started by compareing the PA14 to the Outback and now have switched to the PA12, over the PA14. I will use the boat for touring as well as fishing.
The Outback looks to plow thru the water,where the PA's appear to cut thru it. The photos of the hulls of the PA's rear section look like a sailing vessel and would reduce drag compared to the Outback. Some of the photos on the Hobie website also show the rear of the PA14 very low in the water, increaseing drag.
I live in the Portland area. The local rivers usually start out pretty smooth and develop a moderate mid day chop. There is also a fairly heavy current in several local areas.
The Outback is a popular boat in the area. Not much chatter about the PA's as of yet. Any insite would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having used an Outback for the past 3 years and recent purchase of the PA 12 there are distinct differences between the two craft. One of the pleasant things I found was that the PA 12 actually was easier to pedal than the Outback. My normal "cruise" speed on the Outback was around 2.8 mph. As best I can tell, using the same amount of effort, the PA 12 zips along at 3.3 mph. I'm sure that some of you younger folks will think the "cruise" speed I have indicated is on the slow side but at 71 years old, you learn to take it easy.

I fish many tidal creeks with rather high rate of tidal flow. I really don't find much difference between the two craft when "bucking" the tide.

It may be that the higher seat allows for ease of effort as compared to being down much lower on the Outback. I do know that the comfort level is much better in the PA 12.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the feedback. I think that the PA12 should be my pick. The area that I live in allows for all 3 aspects of the boat. Pedal, paddle and sailing. Although,pedaling will be the majority.
I felt that the PA14 would be a poor comparison to the Outback with mobility in mind. I was hoping the PA12 would be much more similar.