Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 14?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone --

There's a guy nearby who is selling a 1966 Hobie 14 with trailer for $500. I grew around big monohulls and ocean sailing, but since I live in Colorado, the chances to go sailing are pretty limited. I thought this might be a good (and comparatively cheap) way to at least get my kids on the water a few times a year.

I have a couple of questions, though, and hope someone here might be able to help me. The firs is that I'm a big guy -- about 280 pounds. While performance and speed aren't crucial to me, I do want to be able to float the boat without it leaning to one side. Has your experience been that Hobies are pretty stable? Second, the guy at Hobie said that he thought "I'd be severely disappointed with the performance." The more under performed the better with young kids, but i'd want ti to be able to move :)

Anyone have any advice? Thanks -- matt

Post subject: Re: Hobie 14?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow. I can remember a series of posts about weight on a 14 - most thought it would still sail with bigger guys, though I've read here that it was made for 140# or under. You've gotta think that performance would be compromised - sounds like the lee hull might be a torpedo!

The other issue is the amount you might have to pour into it to get it in the water. I bought one for 300 and lucked out that the hulls and decks were solid - so delaminations. But still I've had to put in several hundered more to get it ready to trail and sail. And I haven't replaced the sail or the tramp, and I discovered a crack from freezing in the base of the mast! I grew up on monohulls too, and didn't have a clue what to look for in these boats.

Good luck whatever you decide.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

280 is far too much weight for a Hobie 14. You could sail a 16 and be nearly class legal for racing (285# minimum weight - that's for 2 people).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I had my 14 I was 225lbs.. In a decent blow simply hiked out really hard I could nearly submerge the leeward hull beating upwind..

I had another guy about my size on it several times.. I had myself and three kids.. Sailed it with the wife.... ect.. I had a lot of fun..

I didn't know any better..

Get a 16.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah go for a 16, otherwise you will be buying a very unstable boat when you're all on the boat.

Also a 1966 is a very old boat that is sure to be riddled with problems. I've seen a lot of mid 80's 16's for between 500-1000$. Some even cheaper. I'd say 1000 is the average price for a 80's 16.

Good luck.