Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Stepper III
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does anyone have a video of the mast stepper III in operation? I have read about it but don't fully understand how it works. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I looked on youtube but couldn't find anything. If someone could steer me to a video I would appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: Mast Stepper III
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought the mast stepper 3 last year and frankly, its not worth it. The last time we used it, the fitting that rests against the mast bent. It also takes much longer to use it than to just 'man up' and step that mast........

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Unfortunately my "manly" days are all but passed, and it's getting harder and harder to lift and balance the mast while walking on a trampoline. Since I plan on sailing my Getaway until they pry the tiller out of my cold dead hand I will be needing a little help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

sorry, I don't have any pictures or video but it certainly does make things easy when you are sailing solo. Can't very well step the mast solo without it. next time I rig up the boat (probably monday) I can take some video and pictures for you. Or you can give me a call if you like and i'll answer as best i can over the phone. PM sent with phone #. Call me if you are in a jam and need to know quickly.

Not sure if you have seen this or not but it has pictures:

http://static.hobiecat.com/linked_images/3156.pdf

Real quick (not sure I have all the terminology correct):

1. rig up shrouds and head stay and position mast on the ball hanging off the back of the boat (should be rotated with front of mast to port side).

2. place mast base bracket from the stepper kit onto the base of the mast and secure with black bungee cord included.

3. attach stepping pole to base bracket with pin (shackle on other end should be facing the stern).

4. connect stepper lines (loops with shackles) to the tangs on either end of the center crossbar with included shackles. if you have wings, wings should be open and locked in position and lines from the stepper pole should cross in front of the wing support bars.

5. connect head stay (bottom of jib furler) to the stern facing shackle on the end of the stepper pole.

6. the remaining lines from the ends of the center cross bar are connected by a sail track feeder. Connect this feeder to your halyard and run it up the sail track in the mast as far as you can and cleat off. These lines are meant to stabilize the mast from side to side as you raise or lower.

7. last, wrap the included pulley and short line around the front cross bar and feed your winch line through the pulley and connect to the lines wrapped around the end of the stepper pole opposite the shackle that is connected to the head stay.

8. Winch the mast up and connect your head stay to the bridles on your front cross bar.

Now you can remove the stepper in reverse order. Re-install to lower the masst. Make sure you hold onto the winch handle when lowering or it will free fall and most likely damage something or injure someone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The mast stepper works like a charm. Why try to rupture yourself trying to raise the mast solo....it's dumb and you're just inviting injury.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had the Mast Stepper III since August of last year but have not used it. I decided over the weekend to install it on my boat. I was a little intimidated about all the various parts and like some on this board just couldn't vision how it worked at first. However, once I installed a winch on the mast crutch (really the toughest part of the process for me), everything went together nicely. The instructions make a lot more sense when you are actually installing it. I have used it twice and it works like a charm. I wish I had installed it earlier.

Not to sound to much like a billboard but I have an Adventure Island along with the Getaway and I have to say Hobie makes great boats that are fun and easy to use!!! Overall a great company.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I purchased the Mast Stepper III and will be trying it out over the 4th of July. I'll post my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In my experience the mast stepper III works fine, but takes a bit of time to set up. To speed things up I replaced some of the "stock" shackles with carabiner-type snap shackles.

If you have a helper (even a small one), it's really not worth it. I just hook the roller furler directly to the trailer winch, and have my son crank on it while I lift the mast by hand. Way faster.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I see what you are saying about being faster. But since the forstay is connected to the front of the mast (which is on the side of the mast when raising/lowering the mast) how do you keep the mast from rotating?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good point - I do all the lifting until the mast rotates forward. I use the trailer winch for two purposes:
- as an "insurance policy" if I stumble, or the wind takes the mast away from me
- once the mast is up, it securely holds it in place, so that I can (calmly) attach the bridles to the forestay/furler and wind indicator.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

af - Howdy! I am very much a newbie and just picked up my Getaway yesterday. I will be rigging and sailing it for the first time this weekend. My question is how exactly are you attaching the winch strap to the furler drum? Are you disconnecting the furler drum from the two bridle wires and connecting it to the forestay adjuster and connecting the winch strap to the furler drum to winch it up and then reconnecting to the two bridle wires? If so, how are you attaching the winch strap to the furler drum while winching it up - wrapping it , attaching a line, etc?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good question. I'm actually using a bit of the mast stepper III kit (the stainless steel plate). I'm sure you wouldn't have to buy the entire kit to find one. Figures B (three pictures) from the mast stepper instructions show how it's installed:

http://static.hobiecat.com/linked_images/3156.pdf

I then used a shackle to attach this to the winch strap.

Allan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

See figure 12 in the link from the post above for how to connect winch line to furler drum after following Figure B for how to set up the additional hardware to the furler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! for all of the information.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm a little confused how this works without the jin pole. When the mast is down and you hook the winch strap to the bottom of the furler, the forestay is laying flat on the mast. I would think you would need to lift the mast up a bit before the winch would do any good. But that is the heaviest part of the lift. Don't you need the jinpole to be able to lift the mast up off the boat?