Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You really took some heat about this, I have the same problem, I want to scoop/dig/compress/pressure wash out the foam best I can, tilt boat forward, & pour foam between the layers. I believe this would be a better fix than grit rot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have a large delam problem in the decks of my H18. The previous owner never worried about it. He said it started flexing about 6 years ago and hasn't gotten any worse. It pushes down a 1/8th to 1/4 " in places. I have been reading alot about repairs and Git Rot sounded like a great way to go. The price is not good though. I tried this in one hull and it didn't go very far. I bought 2 pints from west marine and it barely filled 1/2 the void in one hull. That cost me 80 bucks. Personally I can't afford to finish it like that.

I looked into gorilla glue and found 32 oz jugs for $24 bucks each on amazon.com

That's getting closer. I am seriously considering filling the void with riged curing low expansion great stuff foam. This is what a guy used to repair a weak bottom fiberglass bath tub in my house, and it worked great. No more flex and no sign of cracking. Will it work for me here?

What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am in the same boat as you (pardon the pun !) I have read on another forum of a person who used the minimum expanding great stuff. He drilled holes down the middle of hull, & shot it in. It does need air to dry.
here is the link: http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... =0&thold=0 it is at the very bottom of page. let me know if you do it. You might want to post a new forum on the repair forum, be ready to be chewed up !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep in mind when doing repairs, that $80 to repair one hull is substantially less than replacing said hull. You also have to look at it over the time the repair will useful... $80 for one hull that will last probably 20 years... $2 per year. Not a bad investment.

People will give you a hard time when you try something different because they know what works ove time. If you are willing to fund an experiment in hull repair, please let us know the outcome. We all know how expensive these boats can get when you have repairs and new gadgets and we want to help you protect your investment so you can enjoy the boat for years to come.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a H16 that has some delam between the posts on one of the hulls. Pretty much the whole middle section between the posts and about 8 inches behind the rear. The front is still rock hard. I am leery of inserting a foam core in both hulls... Whats the best solution here? West Marine system or Git Rot?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

busteacher wrote:
I have a H16 that has some delam between the posts on one of the hulls. Pretty much the whole middle section between the posts and about 8 inches behind the rear. The front is still rock hard. I am leery of inserting a foam core in both hulls... Whats the best solution here? West Marine system or Git Rot?

Busteacher - did you ever get a response to this question? I am wondering about West Marine vs. Git Rot as well and need to get on my repair ASAP.