Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Question - I've sailed monohauls for years and purchased my first Getaway this season. We absolutely love it but have noticed that it has difficulty maintaining a true close hauled tack and seems "comfortable" only in a close reach tack at best. We need to sail up a fairly narrow channel to get to open water so with our monohaul we tend to sacrifice speed on a close hauled tack - but the Getaway can't seem to maintain it. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cats don't point as well as monohulls. Just a fact you will have to get used to. Can't have everything! sacrifice you have to make but the benefit is speed. I'll take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Duly noted! We are definitely satisfied with the speed too! So at least we know that it is not our sailing technique. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37283 from some past posts about mast rake, tell tales, and sail trim. A Getaway won't sail as close to the wind as other cats or monohulls due to the way the hulls are constructed and the cut of the sails. But you can squeeze better windward performance out of the boat by keeping the crew weight forward (make that leeward bow dig into the water) and by following some of the tips on the thread.

When you are sailing closehauled in a narrow channel, you will get lots of practice in tacking quickly!

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, JT. That is helpful. I haven't tried adjusting the mast yet. I will try that tonight when we go out - I can't remember if we set it more aft or not, to be honest. We have been trimming the jib as we would on the monohaul - tell tales parallel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Trimming the telltales correctly means you're approaching the problem the right way.

JTCole's suggestion about moving the weight forward on the leeward hull is absolutely correct, and one most people won't be aware of unless they've sailed a Getaway. It really helps!

'83/'84 H16 "Cosmic Cat" Blue Hawaii #82278