Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I want to add a spinaker to my wave that currently has a jib with Jib kit hardware. Do I need any extra hardware for the spinaker?

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Catchthewave wrote:
Hello,

I want to add a spinaker to my wave that currently has a jib with Jib kit hardware. Do I need any extra hardware for the spinaker?

Rick

Uh....yeah

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What i should have asked is does the jib hardware intefere with spinaker hardware?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Uh ... I believe Rick's question was most likley in relation to Hobie's factory Wave spinnaker kit, as opposed to what appears to be a custom hooter installation.

From what I understand, both systems are completely separate. See http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13250&start=0&hilit=spinnaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mugrace72 wrote:
Catchthewave wrote:
Hello,

Rick

Uh....yeah

Jack

How does your set up perform? Did you modify a hooter from Rick White or come up with your own plan? I know you said the sail was custom made for your specs. Just curios, Rick's hooter is giving me about 25% over stock but I have to be careful with the sheets as they are right under me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

wattfarm wrote:
How does your set up perform? Did you modify a hooter from Rick White or come up with your own plan? I know you said the sail was custom made for your specs. Just curios, Rick's hooter is giving me about 25% over stock but I have to be careful with the sheets as they are right under me.

I worked with my sailmaker (Joe Waters, Waters Sails, Columbia, SC) to come up with a design that had less overlap and could be sheeted to the shroud. We also decided that the pole needed to be 10' long for the best amount of separation from the mainsail.

Rigging the pole was a big concern because there is a lot of lift generated by the sail. I ended up with a small dolphin striker so as to induce prebend in the pole. I also have end pole and mid pole bridles (Spectra).

The performance is awesome and I am surprised at how easy to control it is.

I haven't tested boat for boat with Rick, but will do so in a few weeks at Put-In-Bay.

I have heard that Rick has gone to a longer (9') pole on his rig now.

If you are interested in a similar sail, I would highly recommend Joe Waters (803) 238-5638. It can be scaled to whatever pole length you deem appropriate.

Wave #100

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where did you get the shark teeth decal?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Creative wrote:
Where did you get the shark teeth decal?

hobiesrock wrote:
I love the teeth/eyes on your hulls! Did you make those yourself??? Just use vinyl?

My girlfriend is in the business and she can make you a set. They are one piece vinyl and are easy to apply.

They are $100 per pair.

Contact her at Barbie, [email protected]

The mouth can be put on either way. I put mine on so that it is more smiley.

Wave #100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mugrace72 wrote:
wattfarm wrote:

I worked with my sailmaker (Joe Waters, Waters Sails, Columbia, SC) to come up with a design that had less overlap and could be sheeted to the shroud. We also decided that the pole needed to be 10' long for the best amount of separation from the mainsail.

Rigging the pole was a big concern because there is a lot of lift generated by the sail. I ended up with a small dolphin striker so as to induce prebend in the pole. I also have end pole and mid pole bridles (Spectra).

The performance is awesome and I am surprised at how easy to control it is.

I haven't tested boat for boat with Rick, but will do so in a few weeks at Put-In-Bay.

I have heard that Rick has gone to a longer (9') pole on his rig now.

If you are interested in a similar sail, I would highly recommend Joe Waters (803) 238-5638. It can be scaled to whatever pole length you deem appropriate.

Pictures from yesterday's test at Pt-In-Bay.

Rick White and Jack Woehrle

Rick and I at Put-In-Bay yesterday ready to go "mono on mono".

However, Rick is still in the developing stages of his new rig and had trouble getting enough luff tension on the hooter.

He needs to lower the pole and I think it will be fine.

Mine has a shorter luff so I can get it pretty tight. That is needed to get it to furl properly.

Someone asked if you can sail with it partly unfurled and the answer is NO...absolutely not. It is either all in or all out. That is because the top tends to roll out more material than the bottom which is restrained but the furler drum. Trust me, it doesn't work well partly unfurled.

After Rick came back in to reconsider his design, I went out in 8-12 knots and sailed for several hours.

It is really amazing the speed that develops on a beam to broad reach. The boat literally leaps out of the water and skips over the waves. Note that this is in the famous Lake Erie chop.

There is no hope to gain an advantage upwind compared to a uni-rig Wave, in my opinion.

Wave #100

Last edited by Mugrace72 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Catchthewave wrote:
Hello,

Rick

Rick, yes you do (if you stick with what Hobie suggests).
If you want the 'standard' method, PM me. If you want the 'Extreme' end of the spectrum, give the 'Hooter Boys' a PM. :lol:

Cheers
Tri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wattfarm wrote:
Mugrace72 wrote:
Catchthewave wrote:
Hello,

Rick

Uh....yeah

Jack

Jack, you guys may want to consider starting a new thread: Taking it all the way...and beyond.
One of my intense interests is Hovercrafts: This is one that would be amazing @$27k.

http://neoterichovercraft.com/showroom/ ... change3877

This one @ $190K can use the ground effect to fly above the ground:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwC8MP6uOiQ

Based on the simple idea of economic return for your investments, would it not make more sense to buy a Hobie Wild Cat and consider other means of 'flying' as simple as looking at a pilot's license and leave the 'toy boats' on the beginner's circle?
Regards
Tri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trinomite wrote:
Based on the simple idea of economic return for your investments, would it not make more sense to buy a Hobie Wild Cat and consider other means of 'flying' as simple as looking at a pilot's license and leave the 'toy boats' on the beginner's circle?
Regards
Tri

Both Rick and I have been sailing high performance cats for 40 years...Sharks, Tornados, Hobies, Nacras, etc.

We are not interested in faster and more complex boats anymore.

We are Wave sailors and we race them..several times a week, in fact.

How many folks that read this forum really race Waves in one-design fleets?

However, we also like to play around a little, that's all.

WE DO NOT CONSIDER THE WAVE AS A "TOY BOAT"!!!

Wave #100

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jack
Thank you for your reply.
I respect what you have done with these boats. I also appreciate the fact that it is obvious that you both have the required experience to use these highly modified boats as you have. Well done!!
However, in reality, most people use these boats in their unmodified version; some have added a few additions to increase their own level of satisfaction for better performance.
As having over 40 years of experience in various recreational crafts both in the mono, dual, and triple hull versions, I simply offer my own opinion as to what is suitable to the majority of rec. sailors.
As to my consideration of this craft as a 'Toy', it is as well as your own boat.
The last time I checked, Hobie Inc. sells toys in various forms.

If I was not interested in toys, I would have 'grown up' and spent my money to buy shares in the banking system. Looks like my money went to the right place due to far better dividends from my 'toys'!

Best Regards
Tri