Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

Very curious to know if any other PA 14 owner, has issues with getting the yak to begin turning from a stationary start.

My PA takes a good 2-3 meters of forward momentum before it even thinks of begining a turn which is very frustrating when in close to structure. My friends Outback turns on a dime :roll: .

Obviously if it is a common occurence with PA 14's then I'll have to just deal with it. :(

Thanks for any feed back

Last edited by Brent_G on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been taking the PA12 out the last couple of weeks and I can confirm this. To turn from a stationary position you need to get a little speed going before it starts to turn.

I don't fish near big structure very often so it hasn't been a problem yet..but I'm sure using a push pole/stick anchor to push off the structure is your best bet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That is definitely the case. It has to be moving for it to turn at all. I feel your pain on that bit. I do a lot of fishing on rivers and up close to points and structure. It can be annoying but the other benefits of the PA have made up for it with me.

" Its all fun and games until somebody gets hurt, then its hilarious"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rudders don't work until you get water flowing across them. And the further forward you put the rudder the more noticeable this is, although the tighter you can turn once it does take effect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a definite YES.

What I do if I need to turn quickly, is take the paddle and stick the blade in the water just deep enough to bite and cause drag on the oppostie side I want to turn. Works very well if there is a need to turn quickly to remain safe.

Also not mentioned is the fact of wind pushing on the side I want to turn will slow the process of turning also...

Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I fish mostly tidal water which most often is pushing me away from the structure. What has worked for in close area is fluttering, fluttering the drive with short strokes gives me momentum without distance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try leaning in the direction you want to turn before your first push of the pedal. It gets the mirage drive on the outside and more resistance to the inside of the turn.Also I have been doing a lot of using my hands as a paddle and dragging them on the turning side to get the nose going..seems to help me. I do a lot of work around bridges and pilings, a lot of stopping and starting. The short flutters also help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the responses , it is comforting to know it's not just my PA

I generally have my paddle half within quick reach to change the direction of the PA's nose before peddling away.

I'm seriously working on a alloy mount for the nose of the PA that will then accomodate a small electric trolling motor , were I'll utilise the foot controls to help control drifts when casting close to structure.

My wish Mr Hobie designers , is to one day have a set of fins?? that can go into reverse and that can be retro fitted into the existing mount :wink: Please please please :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Mirage Drive DOES go in reverse! It's strange that you didn't know that???

Couple of weeks ago we were launching from a muddy launch with strong currents. I needed to paddle out quickly, get into the tidal flow and get my drive quickly inserted into the kayak.

When I started to pedal, the kayak (Outback) was doing something strange...... It was moving backwards. I had inserted the drive in backwards :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You want reverse, just put your drive in backward. I did it by mistake. It works. You go backward. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use one of these and it helps a bit.

http://backwaterpaddles.com/Piranha.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

X3 on leaning with short flutter kicks for the jolt of forward energy. I can drift my PA fairly well. I am also looking into a drift sock. Also depends of you have wind? I have either my six year old on the cooler, or just the cooler. With that in mind, I have alot of wind drag. So I guess I am always moving. I do know like any moving object, after break-in period there is maintance needed. Things like rudder and Mirage drive need to be check for tolerence and lubrication if needed. I had a little play in both. Follow the other Indexs in Hobie forum for the maintance. You will see a difference. :D

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!