Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How much should my trailer weigh? There is no placard or stamped area on the trailer to indicate the weight. The boat is a hobie 17 sport which is spec'd out at 800lbs but I am interested in the trailer only weight. Please give me your best idea. It does not have to be accurate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure where you're getting your specs, but a Hobie 17 Sport is more like 340 LBS. If your boat weighs 800 LBS, then it's about time to open the drain plugs because the only way it would weigh that much would be if it's 1/2 full of water... :D

As for the trailer, it depends on whether it's an aluminum or steel trailer and how heavy/thick the frame is. An aluminum trailer would likely be around 200 LBS. A steel trailer would be more in the 350 to 500 LBS range. If you have a cat box, that would add about 30 to 60 lbs.

Are you trying to figure out whether or not your car has enough power to pull the boat?

sm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for Old Salts reply. Spot on the 340lbs boat weight. I do not know where I got the 800lbs from but I was mistaken about that specification.

I hope this helps the next person confronted with this situation.

In order to get the trailer weight I had to unload the boat onto saw horses and drive the trailer to a tractor trailer trucking weigh scale at Pilot Travel. Weigh both my truck and trailer and then detach the trailer and reweigh my truck. With some basic arithmetic, the trailer weight was calculated.

The complication here is that they need 1000lbs to get an accurate weight. We think that my trailer is 440lbs. I am doubtful of the accuracy of this scale and think that the weight could have been 220lbs. The guy running the show that day acted like he was not that experienced in doing this.
It was close enough though, to get a printout of the scale measurement so that I could present this to the tag office to get a license tag for the trailer. The state of Florida is very interested in trailer weights at 4000lbs or greater so that they can Title and Tax the vehicle as appropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The cheapest, easiest and probably most accurate way to weigh a Hobie trailer is to just use a bathroom scale. Unload the boat. Then place the scale under the tongue and each of the tires, add the three results together and you have your weight. But if you're just worried about whether or not you're under 4000LB, then its a non-issue. As you found out, a Hobie trailer only weighs a couple hundred pounds.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:34 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Many states require a receipt from a weigh scale operator to certify the weight of the trailer for licensing.

An alternative to the truck weigh station is a moving company - they charge by weight and their scales are more accurate than the ones at a truck stop.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Most accurate weight scale helps to evaluate the values and total measurements of vehicle scales. Some scales not shows the actual weights due to functionality functions quality material used to make the scales. Digital scales and bathroom scales, truck scales are best to weight vehicles.