Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm new to sailing after rescuing a '80 Hobie 16 from a backyard in Vermont about 2 months ago. I've been out with it half a dozen times over the past few weeks and am trying to fine tune the rigging. From the reading I've done on the forum, the greater the mast rake the better the cat will perform and also make it less prone to pitchpoling. (first time doing that happened yesterday.. :shock: ) However, my understanding is the mast step and base along with the way the sails are cut on older boats such as mine do not allow the same level of rake as newer versions. I’m interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully modified the older version mast step to allow a little more rake. I’m thinking about removing a little material from the aft of the cup with a dremel tool, (I smoothed out some grinding already after having the shrouds a bit too short on a prior outing) or even adding an extra Teflon chip in the cup to keep the bottom of the mast from grinding on the step. I’m realistic and know that I’ll never be able to sheet the main block to block with my current setup, but am curious to know what the modification limits are, or whether I should even bother trying. Any suggestions welcome!

Heartfelt thanks to the forum for helping me through the steep part of my learning curve.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did it I didn't have any trouble with the mast step. If you want to use the original sails then the jib is your main limitation since it is not cut for too much rake. If you go this route then add a chain plate to extend the one that connects the bridle wires to the forestay and experiment with how much mast rake you can get before the leech of the jib flutters, then move the mast forward until the fluttering stops.

If you get a new jib then get new shrouds and a forestay with it since it is cut for more mast rake.

Also, with more rake aft you will need to adjust the rudder rake, since more rake adds more weather helm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the information Skipshot. Were you able to get rake comparable to newer cats? It sounds like you whittled down your mast step quite a bit. Did you simply round off the aft side of the cup, or plane off the entire horizontal area around the top of the cup? I was thinking about using a belt sander on an angle taking off about an eighth of an inch maximum at the rear of the flat area at the top of the cup.

I'll give the extra chainplate a try and see what happens. Thanks again for the help!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you won't be racing the boat you won't need as much rake, so try adding the extra chain plate then see what happens and make the necessary adjustments. Your primary need is to lessen the chance of a pitchpole and that can be done with the original jib and more experience sailing.

Eventually, with enough time sailing, the jib's leech will flutter no matter how you adjust it and this means it is blown out and time to get a new one. Then you may either have one made to the original specs or buy a new one from Hobie, but for a Hobie jib you'll need new, shorter shrouds. And if the boat still has older shrouds then it's a good idea to replace them anyway.

I wasn't clear about the mast step, I didn't do anything to it and the mast worked fine, in my opinion, but still check yours.