Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am picking up my new PA12 this week and I have two questions for anyone who can answer them:

1. I ordered an "H" Bar and it is to be installed on my PA12 by the local Hobie dealer. He has informed me the "H" Bars are on back order with Hobie, and Hobie is on back order with the manufacturer. Anyone have one of this mounted on their PA12, yet? (I understand it is the same "H" Bar used on the PA14). Anyone know when Hobie will ship these back orders to the dealers?

2. Is the Lowrance Transducer, wiring, etc. pre-wired at the Hobie factory? I have a Cuda S350 F/F & GPS combo that I want to install...will any of the F/F units work with the pre-wire, or will it require a Lowrance manufactured unit?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Klondike,
Dont know about the H bar but I can tell you you'll have to wire up your transducer yourself. Hobie just provides the means to mount a Lowrance transducer and predrilled holes to run your cables. They also provide the hole plugs that allow your cables to pass through the holes still keeping things water tight. I installed mine and had to call my tall, long armed son to get to the plugs. Its something someone with short arms can NOT do. For someone who can reach, its an easy task. Best thing is to look at the video on this sight. It gives you a good idea of what you'll have to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the information about installation of the transducer. I don't have long arms either, so I guess I'm going to need to find a friend to help with that part of it.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

"1. I ordered an "H" Bar and it is to be installed on my PA12 by the local Hobie dealer. He has informed me the "H" Bars are on back order with Hobie, and Hobie is on back order with the manufacturer. Anyone have one of this mounted on their PA12, yet? (I understand it is the same "H" Bar used on the PA14). Anyone know when Hobie will ship these back orders to the dealers?"

A couple weeks ago my local Hobie dealer told me that the H-Bar went back order and they didn't expect anymore in until August. Well...That wasn't good enough for me so I went online and googled "Hobie H-Bar" I was taken to a webpage with many links. I just went to each link until I found a dealer that had some. I found my H-Bar at an outfit called Idaho Water Sports, so I called them at (208)678-5869 and they said they still had some in stock. So...I ordered one from them. I had to pay about $35.00 for shipping&handling in addition to the $189.99, but I received the H-Bar within 4 business days. To me it was worth the extra money to avoid waiting over a month before my local dealer would get some in.

BTW...This outfit "Idaho Water Sports" also had many other Kayak products. Check out their website at http://www.idahowatersports.com. if you are interested.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OOPS...Sorry...The correct link is http://www.idahokayak.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yakfish - "thanks" for the great information, I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

August is what I'm hearing in terms of an eta also. Am waiting patiently for mine. Think it will really enhance the stand-up experience on the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to mount an Lowrance Elite finder to my PA 12. I am wondering where does one mount the battery. I am planning to use a 12 volt Rhino style battery. I want it secure ie. strapped down. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's one tht sounde interesting http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=43637&p=183241&hilit=Battery&sid=7cd2f154f07a51022840f4e05a047a47&sid=883d41a73e99d7881ec4fc65bed20d41#p183241

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did that exact battery mount on my PA 12. Extremely happy with how easy it was to do and love the fact that the battery isn't banging around inside my kayak each time I load it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Klondike,

It is true, there is no pre wiring installed. It is an easy install, but I agree, long arms help. As far as transducers go, you will need to order the proper kit for any other brand than Lowrance. I use a HB unit and Hobie gave me the part number to help my local dealer find it. These are very new parts and I didn't want any confusion. It took a couple of weeks to get in, but the transducer install was a breeze. I believe any brand will work, but the mounting arms are different from brand to brand. It comes with the proper parts to install Lowrance. In my opinion, it works much better than through hull mounting. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the link. Perfect solution.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yakin4Fish,
"Thanks" for your response!