Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: which one for me?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi i have been sailing for a while now but only single hulls and most have been small like lasers. I was wondering which hobie would be best for me. I am about 165 and I usually sail by myself but I want the option of taking other people with me. I have never raced but i would consider myself a fairly agressive sailior. Speed is an important factor for me, the more the better. :P I would be sailing mainly on Lake Michigan where the water can get some pretty good chop.

I have heard people recomend the hobie16 and the fxone for sailing alone. Which is better? Advantages, disadvantages? Are there any others to consider?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Which one for Me
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Which side of Lake Michigan are you going to be sailing on? Do you know how much the water depth is going to change? When you do have someone else on the boat, do you know how much weight you will have combined?

I will say that the H16 is a handful when you start out and it may be too much for you to right by yourself without additional righting equipment.
I sail the H16 solo all the time and find it too be a hand full when the wind is blowing. You can go sailing without the jib on the boat to reduce sail area, but you also give up some performance and it becomes a little bit harder to tack.

From what I know of the H16, and based on the fact that you say you are an aggressive sailer, your weight and were you plan to do most of your sailing, I would not recommend this boat for you. My 1973 owners manuel says it takes 2 adults to right it. I can right it, but I also weigh in at 265 pounds, 20 pounds less than the min. class racing weight.

You might also want to consider the H17. I myself have not sailed it, so I cant tell you much about it. The H17 is faster than the H16 going up wind, but slower going down wind. That is about all I know about it.

Hopefully someone can provide some information on the FX-one for you, since I dont know anything about it, so I wont comment one way or the other on it.

I know that there are some H16 and H17 sailers out here, and hopefully they can provide you some more insight on this.

Mark Colby
1973 H16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can't speak for the FX one- I've only seen them at boat shows. I've got both a 16 and a 14t. The 16 can be kind of a handful solo and I can't right it without a righting aid. The 14 is a lot of fun solo, and I usually am able to right it without too much trouble, but it gets heavy and slow with two people( I'm about 5-9, 165-170). I think I'd go with the 16 and just take it easy till you get the feel of it. I often sail mine without the jib,but as Mark said, it gets hard to tack and doesn't seem to point as well. Hope this helps- Dave