Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

After starting on the Hobie 16, and meeting my wife. I moved over to the 18. We raced the 18 in Canada on our Honeymoon.

I then had the pleasure of teaching my 11 year old son to crew for me. We teamed up for 3 great seasons in Division 3 and Division 4 for one race. After which my son started to ask, "when am I able to race my own boat?" The youth movement being strong in the Northwest, and, being the Hobie Dad that I am, I sold the 18 to a nice young lady in the area who said she intends to race. I bought my now 13 year old son a Wave. He's only been solo in two regattas, but he's loving it, and this is due in a large part to the support of the Hobie Community.

But, I've had to endure the beach for most of last year, and up to now for all of this season.

None to soon, my lovely wife is bringing up to our home a '99 Hobie 17 Sport. I've already got the conversion kit coming. (Thanks Dan @ Kirkland).

I'll see you all at the Sudden Valley Regatta!

It pays to be a good Hobie Dad. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am considering moving my family up to Clark County. I have all boys, 3, 5, 7 and 9. 7 and 9 can manage the sheet and tiller while trapping, as long as I am on board!

I read something about the youth programs in WA, but did not get further info. I would eventually like my kids on Waves and then 16s. Do you know the location of all this WA youth activity?

I had two 86's, sold, and just bought a 2003 Sport, which I have just about finished converting to an SE. I went a little extra and got rid of the plastic blades in favor of the EPOs. Note: I will think twice before buying a newer Hobie again - The attention to detail, fit and finish of things like the castings, mast etc... do not come close to the Hobie excellence of the 1980's.

Have fun,

Dan

Post subject: Youth activity
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dan,
Most of the youth activity that I'm aware of is in or around King County. Sail Sand Point is a great place to start.
http://www.sailsandpoint.org/
They have 4-5 Waves, training, and the ring master is Caleb who is a 17 racer himself.
Just north out of Vancouver BC is PPS. Now Mark Jones sails a 16, so you have to talk slower. :wink:

http://www.pacificperformancesail.ca/

Post subject: Re: Youth activity
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

OLD SCHOOL 18 wrote:
Dan,
Most of the youth activity that I'm aware of is in or around King County. Sail Sand Point is a great place to start.
http://www.sailsandpoint.org/
They have 4-5 Waves, training, and the ring master is Caleb who is a 17 racer himself.
Just north out of Vancouver BC is PPS. Now Mark Jones sails a 16, so you have to talk slower. :wink:

http://www.pacificperformancesail.ca/

I'm envious! :D

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave:

Add a squaretop. You will love it.

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Doug,
I'm starting to see a pattern here. You're not leaving any doubt to the fact that a square top main, and a 190 reacher is the way to go! :D

I'm getting the motorhome first, then the reacher, then the square top main.

Thanks for all the info you sent me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D Old School and Dan, welcome to our growing fleet of H-17 racers in the Northwest. The programs at Sail Sand Point are growing, adding new Cat sailors of all ages. See offerings at www.sailsandpoint.org In addition to our five Waves, we have three H-16's and a H-14.

Hope to make Sudden Valley this weekend. Just coming off knee surgery, then a thumb cut while repairing a Wave mast. :oops: Caleb