Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting a Hobie 17
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found a hobie 17 for sale in my area, shoreline Connecticut, for a good price and I have been looking for one for a while. I own a hobie 16 right now, and I do love it, I can bring a friend on it (I usually only bring one, but sometimes two friends every once and a while). Although I like recreational sailing more, I do race once a week during the sailing season, and when I do I just single my 16, less weight and I can handle it. The reason I make this thread on the forum is because I have seen on several other threads that people have said that having two people in the 17 is terrible, and you shouldn't bring people on it. But if I were to bring one and maybe MAYBE 2 people on it would it really make that much of a difference, I wouldn't be racing, it would just be fun, is it physically bad for the boat? Also, while I'm here, is the 17 being singled faster than someone singling a 16 (I am 143 pounds if it makes a difference). Thanks for the help guys, just trying to see which boat best fits me.

Post subject: Re: Getting a Hobie 17
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The 17 SE (the original 17) is a singlehanded boat with a minimum racing crew weight of 160 lbs. Optimal racing weight is a bit more, perhaps 170.

Two people (300 lbs +) on a 17 will make the boat sluggish. The wings are only rated for 350 lbs. The boom is very low, making changing sides challenging for additional crew members. The boat rides very low in the water; adding weight just makes that worse.

The 17 Sport (with the jib) was made to give a little more horsepower to the 17 and make it more crew friendly (no boom). It doesn't change how low the boat rides.

A 16 has more sail area than a 17 and is faster off the wind in everything under 20 kts. A 17 will be faster upwind and off the in wind over 20 kts, when the 16 becomes overpowered.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't forget about the 18. It can handle all your friends, and if your handy it can be single handed.

The 17 single handed gets you wetter than a 16 with two people. So a 17 with 2 or 3 people will be like a water park. The 17 reminds me of lightweight sports car with a small turbo engine. The 18 can handle all your friends and beat almost any 16, and long as you only bring one friend.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated, so I guess I am either going to stick with the 16 or look for an 18, I am already cruising craigslist for one. But my question now is, if the 17 rides low in the water in the first place, and can barely hold a crew, then why did hobie make the boat in the first place, who is it good for?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
But my question now is, if the 17 rides low in the water in the first place, and can barely hold a crew, then why did hobie make the boat in the first place, who is it good for?

Like I said, it's a singlehanded boat. Don't ask it to do things it wasn't designed for (like carrying a lot of weight).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why get a H17 over a H16 or H18? Cause if you solo, it is the cats pajamas. It is fast, as in it really flies, it even has wings. It is a great high wind boat. I have yet to find a H16 that is faster on any point of wind except in very light air (but most of the H16's I've sailed with are older boats with less experenced skippers). The H17 wings are to die for, as a seat, a back rest, a way to get your weight out without trapping and when trapping you are really out there. I have the Sport and the jib really adds some speed in light to moderate winds and furls when the winds become overpowering. The boomlet allows for the occasional passanger transitional ease. I owned a H16 for 20 years, soloing most of them and have now had the H17Sport for 10 years, I would NEVER go back. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fastcat, have an interest in the 17 sport..I single hand almost exclusively and wonder if a 17 'sport' ( I hate things named sport) can be righted single handed as well? I have much 16 experience but no 17. Never even been on one. I like the look of them though, modern. Can I drive this boat up on the beach or does it require special handling? Also wondering about that cross bar..looks like an impediment in a low riding boat with a wet reputation. Any areas I should concentrate on while I kick the tires on this one or is it basic Hobie foibles 101? Thanks, Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Published load capacity for H17 is 400lb. As MBounds pointed out, passed 350lb the boat gets sluggish and you will have to really watch your weight distribution. If you and your crew is less than 250 lb, you may be better of with H17 Sport. Otherwise, go with H18 and keep H16 for going single.

ChrisD wrote:
Can I drive this boat up on the beach or does it require special handling?

Both H17 and H18 are pretty rugged for handling. H17 has advantage of centerboard, which retracts if it hits sand or underwater obstacle. H18 has daggerboards which are obviously not as forgiving.

H17 will give you a flexibility of going single or with a light crew. With H18 you will be limited to going with a crew. If you and your crew are on a light side, say less than 250 lb, you may be limited to light to medium air and righting H18 may be a challenge.

hookey37 wrote:
is it physically bad for the boat?

That would be cross-bars. The are build lightly and are known to develop cracks, if H17 gets pushed too hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ChrisD, I also was a solo H16 skipper for 20 years prior to getting a H17Sport in 2002. I love the H17 and would never go back. You can drive the H17 much harder in a blow than the H16. The H17 is solo rightable in wind (note: I weigh 210 lbs), but I also carry a righting bag under my tramp for the occasional time the wind dies just after a big puff (I'm a river sailor and at times we get some real funky wind). With the centerboards up you can drive the boat up onto the beach with the expected hull ware. The swing centerboards are one of the reasons I went to the H17 (river banks), but don't be mistaken that if you hit something at speed they will retract unharmed (I have repaired many dings, a partial delamination and completely shattered/destroyed one, $350- thank you very much). The good news is the centerboard trunks were never damaged (not too sure dagger boards would have been as forgiving). The wings are to die for and the jib on the Sport really helps in light to moderate air.
If you sail hard and often, as I do, the crossbeams DO develope cracks. I have replaced both my front and rear crossbeams on my 2000 H17Sport due to multiple cracks (they develop on the underside near the hulls (with shipping it is about a grand to replace both). Good luck and good hunting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've sailed my 17SE a couple times with my wife. We totalled around 340-350lbs. The boat will go OK, but if the breeze is up, it definitely feels "stressed". I don't know how to explain it other than that, the boat just feels like it's being overloaded. For cruising around on the bay, it's OK, but I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing the boat real hard with two adults on board. My 18 is much better for that. The low boom on the 17SE also presents a problem for the crew. I find that it's much easier for the crew to just step around the mast than to try to go under the boom.

I have experienced the cracked crossbar issue on my first 17 (which I think had been set up as a Sport at one time). They will crack on the bottom side, right near the inboard side of the hull where the rivets for the reinforcing plates are located. I am now always careful to fully rinse any salt off the crossbars when I'm done sailing.

As for driving the boat up on the beach. The kick-up centerboards are designed to be able to do this, but I would not do it on a regular basis. First off, you will wear out the leading edge of the boards very quickly as they tend to always sit an inch below the hull even when fully retracted. Second, if you get any sand or rocks up in the centerboard well, you can jam the centerboard so it won't drop down.

The 17 is a great boat for what it is, but like any boat, it has it's limitations.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fastcat and SRM thanks for the thoughtful replies. You answered my questions and more. There is one in my area for sale and I think I may put in a bid but first however I will check the crossbars. Obviously an unexpected expense of 1000 is not to be desired nearly makes the boat a non-starter unless the price is 1000 or less. Nothing like a 16 in many ways, beat it up, flip it, overload it, glide up on the beach, spin the boat into the wind, no worries.(except for the occasional fiberglass tape refresh on the hull bottoms.) I am just looking for something more modern. It never ends. I hope it never does.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ChrisD wrote:
I will check the crossbars.

Also check wings pockets for leaks and main sail for delaminations. These are common issues with older H17.

Last edited by jackB on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jack, can you please clarify...what is a winds pockets? I think you typo'd here but I am unable to figure out what you meant to say. Regarding the sail delam, are all 17 sails mylar? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:48 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

winds pockets = wing sockets.

Water left in the bottom of the wing tube sockets can freeze in the winter and case leaks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, that is a critical thing to know about too. A real concern in my area too. Most people just leave their boats uncovered in the winter especially those losing interest and then selling . Thanks