Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2011 AI. I am not able to remove an aka from the main hull receiver tube.
When I finished sailing on Saturday all the pressing in on the black release buttons and pulling out on the aka would not release it from the locked position.
I used an 18" bungeee to secure it snugly to the main hull and there were no issues on the pickup truck thule rack.
I did slip on algae on the boatramp and I fell and landed with my front upper thigh on the ama then caught myself with both hands on the ramp. This minor mishap happened as I was preparing to launch.
In retrospect I may have put some stress on that aka since I weigh 220 lbs. and at impact my weight struck the ama full force.
If it won't come out I will leave it in (and I don't want to hear any wise guy say "thats what she said....."
Its better that its stuck in than won't go in...
Of course this would limit my usage of the boat to the sailing mode but this is all I bought the boat for as I have three ocean kayaks that can use for kayaking when I want to go kayaking.
Just wanted to hear some comments. Maybe somebody has had this issue and has some magic method to release one that is jammed in.

I tried spraying all purpose 3 in 1 oil spray (like WD 40) but didn't help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Which aka? front right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're like most sufferers from this "improvement" Hobie has made to their aka design, the problem is that the aka is twisted a bit in its seating. Fold the aka back, so it's parallel to the hull, then move the outer end up and down, till you find an angle that releases it enough to pull it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's sometimes easier to twist, then pull with it fully extended. Gives you a little more leverage.

You might even need to bop it in with a rubber mallet first if it's binding inside.

If it's the front starboard Aka, there may be cleat-mounting screws protruding into the tube. These can be adjusted though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine were a little snug coming in and out (but I supposed that's better than slop) so I put on a little paraffin wax to the mating surfaces to keep that sort of thing to a minimum.

Won't help you at this point since you may be dealing with a minor mis-alignment, but it's something you can do in the future to slicken them up a bit and reduce wear.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have commented on the most common cause/remedy of jamming of akas in the xbar tubes. You can read it at
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=42200

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's good information Chekika. I have the 2012 Tandem Island and occasionally still have the same stuck aka issues. Once after I unlocked it by pressing the two buttons to release, I slowly forced the aka out. The other two times, I somehow was able to twist or softly tapped it into a position that allowed the akas to release easily. All three times, it was either the front right or left aka. Next time, I'll have to try aligning the aka with the hull as in your purposed "normal" aka position. Thanks.