Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H14 furling jib
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

today I became a first time hobie owner.... so in rigging the older H14 my wife purchased me we found the jib furler is damaged and won't wind the line in, making it pretty much useless. I accidentally dropped a few key components when taking it apart and lost a bunch of the bearings. I saw a "jib furling tune up kit" on an archive page from Murrays.com but can't seem to find anything similar anywhere else. Does anyone know of a rebuild kit for this part to help me avoid buying a whole new jib furling? If so, or even if not, any suggestions or directions on the best place to buy parts or a replacement would be awesome. We have a west marine intown but I can't find anything on their website either and don't want to waste a trip. HELP!

Matt

Post subject: Re: H14 furling jib
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rebuilding the furler is really quite easy. I did mine about a year ago. I purchased a tune up kit (61900900) and new yoke (61980000) from my Hobie dealer. I ended up with almost a completely new furler save the center shaft. If you don't have a Hobie dealer nearby, Backyard Boats (http://www.backyardboats.com) and Mariner Sails (http://www.mariner-sails.com) have pretty nice online stores.

Jeremy at Surf City has a short video showing what's involved here. Notice how he uses an old towel under his work. That trick has saved me more than a few bucks over the years in both car parts and boat parts.

The H18 parts manual here shows an exploded view of the furler. I believe Hobie used the same furler on all of their boats.

Good luck. H14s are lot of fun.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

perfect! I ordered the rebuild kit yesterday.... just waiting anxiously for it to arrive, as I've never sailed a hobie with a jib and am excited to try it out. Quick follow up question.... how should the Jib attach to this hardware. The previous owner of this boat had it horribly rigged with a mess of shock cord and a broken plastic clip.... should the SS rivet/eye hole in the corner of the sail be shackled just above the furler or what?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The jib attaches directly to the furler. The forestay is sewn into the jib and should have a thimble on each end. Insert the thimble on the tack end of the forestay into the small, two hole chainplate on the top of the furler and fasten it with a clevis pin. It works similar to the shrouds.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ok... i think the previous owner had it a bit jacked up.... there is a 10 hole plate between the forestay and the furler. Based on your direction, I think this has to go and once the furler is rebuilt I should be able to connect the forestay at the bottom of the jib directly to the top of the furler. sound right? it is hard to tell what it is supposed to look like from the pictures on the H14T owners manual available on line since the picture shows the jib sail furled around the forestay and it covers some of the hardware. sorry my terminology isn't great yet... still learning all the terms.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The H14 parts guide might help. It is here. The parts guide might give you a better idea about just what goes where. What I've tried to describe and what the parts manual shows is the factory setup. That extra 10 hole chain plate might have been added by a previous owner to get more mast rake. I've seen it on other boats. It's common now days to rig these boats with more mast rake than they were originally designed with. I bought all new standing rigging for my boat about 2 years ago and have a fair amount of rake without needing any additional length in the forestay. Your boat might be a little different.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks for all the help guys! i ordered the rebuild kit from backyardboats.com and it was here in 2 days.... video was extremely helpful, unfortunatly i was 1/2 way through the rebuild (just minutes from sailing!) and I found the furler sleeve was corroded/stuck inside the yoke and I put it in a vice to try to work it free.... the thing crumbled. cheap metal I guess. so now I am waiting for a replacement sleeve to arrive. Oh well.... still cheaper than buying a whole new furler.

Matt