Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turtled with Bob?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey!! I have been having a GREAT time learning all about my new-used 07 Hobie Club Wave. I've been sailing without a Jib, solo, and am very impressed at how it does not go into irons as a 16 w/o a Jib does.

ANYWAY... today I was out, getting more of a feel, more wind, flying a bit, really enjoying myself. I did get distracted, and over my Bitty Kitty went. Not a problem - except that it turtled.

The Kitty is equipped with Bob, and she still turtled. Is this common? Is there something I'm missing here?

The main was not cleated. No Jib. Hulls were checked prior (and after) sailing and no water inside. I was unable to get her back up w/o help from some very kind kayakers. I do have a righting line on the boat, but nothing was working. I weigh 148 give or take.

I really want to learn this cat, and I am not afraid to go over... I just was not expecting a turtle, nor that I would be unable to right the boat myself.

There were strong gusts where I was floating, but the boat did turn into the wind. It wasn't until I had help that I saw wind under the tramp or any sign of her coming back up, and I was really hanging all my weight over there.

And what's up with Bob? I thought he was my buddy! Sigh...

Any advice, tips, etc., would be most appreciated!

I used to have a 16, and am absolutely thrilled at this Wave, the ease of use, preparation to sail, the simplicity is very nice.

Thanks!

NetraLee

Post subject: Re: Turtled with Bob?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NetraLee wrote:
The Kitty is equipped with Bob, and she still turtled. Is this common? Is there something I'm missing here?

BIG wind pushing on the tramp, and sitting on the top hull will overpower any buoyancy the Bob and mast may have.

See video with my Wave turtled.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbrZIqOy4cI[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: Turtled with Bob?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, that's how mine looked - except sail was uncleated when I went over... she went FAST, too! Were you able to right her after the turtle, by yourself?

And I see I need to move back further, too - good to know! Just an old girl trying to keep on moving - and keep on sailing!

Thanks...

NetraLee