Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outfitter verse oasis
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can someone tell me if the outfitter is more fishable that an Oasis for solo fishing please.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a fairly new owner of an oasis. I have been solo fishing in it about a half dozen times (Bay and Ocean). The Hobie designers did not build it as a fishing craft, but like a ski boat it can be used for fishing. It takes some extra time to simple modifications. I chose the oasis for cruising with the wife, it's perfect for that use. I have a single kayak I use mostly for fishing (I prefer it for fishing), but because of the storage space issues with two kayaks, I'm hoping I can modify the oasis to work well for both purposes.

The outfitter was designed as a fishing kayak, it has several small details that will make fishing more enjoyable right off the showroom floor. If the fishing capability was first on my priority list, I'd go with the outfitter. If you want it for fishing every now and then, either will work just as well.

Good luck, I recommend you take both for a test spin with fishing gear on board. Try changing rigs, poles, to see what works best for your style. You be surprised how the small style features makes your day so much easier.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks so much. Which one can I stand and fish out of the most easiest? After alot of research, I was thinking of a tandem to save money so as not to have two yaks. But now I am not so sure. My yak use would be for fishing, but I am trying to figure out which set up would be the best for all types of fishing, that would be the best money wise. My order of inportance would be putting in on the beach for king fishing, staying dry as much as possible, cost, then inshore and lakes. It would be nice to have one that I could stand up in to fly fish and site fish with. Any helpfull advise would be very much appreciated. Also I will be trasporting it or them 6 hrs one way to the beach. I have a pickup, but gas is an issue, so I am thinking about buying a small car for the trips. I have not decided on a trailer, or putting them on the roof as of yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't speak about the Outfitter but I can regarding the Oasis. It is a very capable fishing platform to solo in. I sit in the back and use a wakeboard water bag up front as ballast http://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line ... 25.html#sf. I'm 270 and the bag provides the perfect ballast and the bow sits level and I also secure my cart up front on top of the bag with the front bungee.

If you are going to solo an Oasis, you will need to mount additional grip handles to handle this yak as the standard grip handles are too far apart for one person. I mounted one just behind the rear seat, and one just in front of the rear hatch. This makes it a breeze lifting to my Hullavator cradle.

With it's 550 capacity and great inherent stability I find it to be a great platform. I haven't attempted to stand, but I regularly swing both legs over one side in the water and comfortably fish, and the swells and boat wakes don't even begin to make me feel as if it will tip. It's really stable.

I've been in the ocean three times pedaling through the Manasquan inlet in NJ on calm days without a ton a traffic and it's a blast. My car is shorther than my Oasis, however the rack system and the lift system is perfect for me and the yak doesn't budge.

I'm sure either will do a great job for you. For me the capacity, stability, fishability, speed and versatility of the Oasis (when the wife wants to go) was the perfect fit.

Let us know what you get and your impressions of it.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks so much Tom. You have one of the similar set ups I was thinking of. I am very inpressed. Please tell me more. How fast can you drive with this set up? How stable is it on the top, how much did the yak rack, hoist thing cost, How much trouble is taking the weight and launching the yak by yourself. I am not a little guy, but getting old. Please tell me about your car, what kind of gas milage do you get with it caring the yak like this. I travel 6 hrs one way to the coast driving the speed limit. 5 hrs driving 75 mph. Any more infomation would be greatly appriciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Eddy,

So far I've launched locally, within 5 minutes to a half hour from home. I'm fortunate to live on the coast, and there's plenty of launch spots minutes from home.

Regarding stability of the Oasis on the roof, I've driven over 65 and it doesn't budge, absolutely rock solid set up. That being said, Pat at Jersey Paddler in Brick NJ showed me how to properly secure and lash my straps to my rack and how to secure the front and rear bumper lines.

For me, the Thule Hullavator for me is a perfect solution for this big yak. It's an amazing design that allows me to take this yak by myself where and when I want to go. Here's a link with reviews, I rate a 10 out of 10. http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showRev ... od=1565#sf. It isn't cheap, about $500-$600, but for me, worth every penny. Like almost evrything, you have to shop around. The rack for your vehicle has to be compatible as well.

I'll be taking a trip to Virginia Beach soon, and since thats about a six hour drive, I'll put the yak "upside down on the roof vs. the way you see it in the picture. That will be much more fuel efficient I'm told, and you don't want to store or transport the kayak like I have in these pictures for any real distance to avoid causing any deformation and "dents" to the hull. The top rails of the yak are much stronger, and they won't deform. Dents however can be pretty easily removed. Regardless of the yak you decide on, I found that the Turbo fins have made a big difference for me, allowing for faster speed and I can cover greater distances. An expense well worth it IMO.

I'm not a small guy either, 270lbs., but I'm getting older, 55. The Oasis is a big and pretty heavy kayak so some thought has to go into soloing an Oasis. Additional grip handles, ballast bag, a rack system that works for you and you've got a fast, stable and very capable, and a real battleship of a yak in the Hobie Oasis.

Let us know what you decided on.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 55 going on 90, thanks for the info. It will be after the 1st of the year for me to get one, but I am doing all the research now to be ready when I can afford a hobie. Please let me know how your long trip went, and how much gas you burnned in your car, I am going to check those out for myself. Hope your trip turns out good and lets have some pics of the trip. When do you put the weight in the front of the yak? Is it just after you take the yak off the car or after sometime?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Eddy,

I don't put the water bag in the Oasis until I'm at the waters edge. The additional weight of the bag wil cause the cart bushings to slide down the posts down the the crossbar. I've tried, and trial and error taught me that lesson. I try to park as closely as the launch site and carry the bag to the kayak, then I'll put it up front and it works great.

Between the additional grips, finding the viable ballast solution, transportation, it has trial and error to make soloing the Oasis workable, but I'm glad I did.

This has been the most fun I've had in quite a while. Using this kayak is an integral part of my life now.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks Tom, hope your trip gives us some great fishing pics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would buy the Oasis. You will travel further and stay drier compared to Outfitter. Oasis solos well with proper front ballast.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2009 Outfitter, and I tested a demo Oasis last Saturday. I am 6' 3" and 180 lb. My boat mate was about 5' 6" 220lb, Here are some of my impressions.

The Oasis is initially more tippy than the Outfitter. I don't believe it is more likely to tip over, but it wobbles more while paddling, and it is more startiling when your boat mate shifts their weight. When I tried to induce tipping, it was easier to swamp the stern of the Outfitter even though it feels very stable while doing so. It just seems much easier to tip the Oasis a couple degrees, but I suspect it is basically as stable as the outfitter when it comes to tipping all the way over.

I sat in the stern position, and leg room was better on the Oasis. With the Outfitter, I always risk kicking the forward passanger in the back with the pedals on 6 or 7. This does not seem to be a problem with the Oasis. However, with the pedals on 7 I would bump the sail mast hold at full stroke. I just shortened my stroke a little and it seemed very comfortable with plenty of power.

The pedal geometry is noticably different. The pedals are lower, and my butt is higher on the Oasis. This gives more of a feeling of pushing downon the pedals, which I like. However, my Size 11 shoes were more likely to drag on the deck. This did not seem hard to adjust to by bending my foot at the ankle a little.

The width of the passenger space certainly seems narrower on the Oasis, particularly where your legs are. This does not seem to be a problem unless you like the extra space.

The rudder on the Oasis is much easier to raise and lower, but you pull twice as much rope to do so.

The Outfitter turns notably tighter than the Oasis. I have the sailing rudder on my Outfitter, and the new Oasis comes with the sailing rudder.

The Oasis is easier to paddle straight with the rudder up, and it can paddle noticable faster. I also like the way the paddles in the Oasis are staggered when stowed to make it easier for the forward and aft passanger to grab their appropriate paddle.

I felt I could go almost as fast with the Outfitter as the Oasis, but I have turbo fins. That said, the Outfitter seems to be "plowing" the water out of the way, while the Oasis cuts through it. My boat mate in front especially noticed this by the amount of spray when plowing through the waves. The Oasis was very dry, the Outfitter can be a wet ride, particularly if your combinded weight is at the 400 lb mark.

In the Outfitter, if The passanger is 150lb, we can stay pretty dry, but a 200lb+ passanger increases the chance of getting wet significantly. It seems better to put the heavier passanger up front. Solo, the Outfitter works sweet with a 50lb water jug up front. I like the extra width and "planted" fealing of the Outfitter. I think the Outfitter is a solid choice if the passangers are under 6' and typically around 150 lbs.

I am leaning towards the Oasis becaus I am tall, and the combined weght of my crew is often over 400lbs. I also know I can deal with the extra 2' when storing and transporting.

One question that remains for me is sailing in winds that are 15-25 mph. I like doing this with the Outfitter. I have a furler so I only let out the amount of sail needed, and the Outfitter is remarkably stable and flat. I still need to pay attention and dump the mainsheet for gusts, but the Outfitter really does not want to turnover. I suspect the Oasis would be similar with respect to turning over, but may sail with a little more lean (not as flat).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My parents have an Outfitter and my main problem when fishing in the back seat was water coming in from the stern even with moderate boat wash or waves (either solo with front ballast or with someone up front). It's nice to have a dry butt when fishing for long periods. Oasis sits higher in general due to the much higher weight capacity. The large front hatch in the Oasis is very handy for things like anchors, ropes, etc. that would otherwise have to be tethered in case of tipping over (a spare MirageDrive may even fit in it but I haven't tried that)

I like the bow shape of the Oasis....it looks fast!