Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA 12 or outback
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like your opinions. I now live in the NC mountains and kayak the local rivers with my native ultimate. I was looking at eventually buying an ocean going Kayak to go offshore a little when we are on vacation. I have had several ocean boats in the past but just the one kayak. I am really looking at the hobie outback or the Pro angler 12. I did drive 2hrs last weekend to see a hobie 14 pro angler. It looked like a lot kayak to handle. I guess it would be nice once you were in the water but getting it across a stretch of beach might be difficult. I plan to buy the transport beach wheels with it. The other problem I see with the pro anglers is that they are so wide. I believe they would be more difficult to paddle as a traditional kayak. I do like that you could stand up in the pro angler especially if you attached the stand up H bar option. The other option that I like in the PA 12 is it is ready to mount a lowrance fish finder. The electric motor they sell is expensive but I see it can be mounted on both boats. If you had to buy just one, which would you buy first.

Post subject: Re: PA 12 or outback
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Since this post, I have searched old posts on this site and others. I definately would pick my days to go out. I doubt I would get out of site of the beach. I have had some real close calls in my Boats (Boston Whalers). I am all about safety. In my younger years, I admit, I was a little reckless.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If I were looking to get a boat just to go off shore with it would be the Outback. I love the stability of my PA14 but there's no way I'm going to try surf launching or recovery with it anywhere here in the Jacksonville Florida area. If I lived further south in Florida like Dania Beach or the Keys then I'd definitely consider it as they have MUCH smaller surf.

The Outback is still a big boat but I believe it's traditional kayak shape would make it much easier to launch and recover in the surf than trying to deal with the PA side slipping on waves. I have no desire to turn my PA over especially since the hatches can't be truely sealed. I can't imagine how tough it would be to right it once it was swamped!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own both. To me, the PA14 (or the 12) are special purpose boats for lakes, bays and oceans. Easier if you trailer them. Great once they're on the water.

If I could only have one and was going to rely on it for various types of fishing - some variety and ease of handling, I'd keep my Outback.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

From reading your first two posts it seems like you have chosen your boat already. I think you can't go wrong with the Outback. Unless your fish finder is DSI, it is still super easy to mount the transducer inside the hull. I do not have a PA but I have an Outback and use it primarily for fishing and love it. My Lowrance Elite 4 works flawlessly, it is easy to paddle, and is super stable. I love the cool new features of the PA12, but I have all I can do to pull my Outback up an embankment with the wheel cart. I don't believe I could do it with the weight of the PA. I love Hobie products and will probably end up with a PA12 at some point, but until then the Outback works great.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I called my closest dealer from the mountains and they have a outback, PA 12, 14 and a Revo in stock. Plan on driving this friday to see the difference in the actual boats.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It was raining today so I drove to the hobie dealer and actually seen all 3 boats. My thoughts are, the outback is not as wide as I thought it would be. The PA 12 has more mounting options and more storage options on deck. I see the problem if you got the PA swamped in the surf but someone emailed me and thought that their PA 12 was just as easy to lauch as their outback. I am leaning towards the PA 12. The dealer was a big fan the the pa 14. He thought the 14 would handle better because the PA 12's seat was closer towards the front of the boat. He thought the handling would be tricky but he as not floated the PA 12 yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tim - I just bought a PA12 a few weeks ago after fishing from an Outback the last couple of years. The PA12 has a lot of great features but it lacks one key element, maneuverability. I used my Outback to float the Potomac River, but I'm not too sure I'm going to do a lot of that on the PA12, its a lot wider, takes longer to turn and is much harder to paddle. In skinny water, you are in better shape with the Outback. There are plus sides to both boats. My suggestion is to try each out in the environment you plan on using them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tim. Both are great boats. I own the Outback, PA14, and Sports (for my kids), all are Mirage.

I fish in the Western States and the Gulf States, mostly Texas and Florida Gulf Coasts. The surfs are much different. Florida's surf has a gradual slope to the bottom at most places and Texas has typically three sand bars and waves to punch through. For off shore I much prefer the Outback. I find it much more stable and maneuverable, which is key as you need to react quickly in the surf or over you may go. The outback has a lower profile, wind and waves don't shift the yak as much since they blow over the yak instead of slamming the side or you, and lower center of gravity, you sit lower and are more stable. The outback maneuvers well without the rudder, however I find the PA's reaction is slower which is important when bust'n through the surf.

Also consider the sea state you are willing to fish. I don't mind up to 4 ft waves 4 of more seconds apart, Outback only! If you only care to attempt 1 to 2 ft waves 3 or more seconds apart, then the PA would work.

The PA is larger, has a more comfortable seat and holds more stuff, which you can loose more stuff if you get caught in a bad way (surf, quick storm, etc.). My Outback carries plenty... I take 3 rods (Fly, spin, and bait cast), sometimes the live well, lures and flys, Hummin bird 798cisi, safety gear, lights, camera, etc.

I also use the outriggers/stabilizers sometimes, especially in rougher sea states. I find they provide good stability and don't effect my getting through the surf. Something to consider should you want a more stable boat.

I like the Outback anywhere and the PA for the lakes.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone here speak to their experiences with the PA 12 vs. the Revo 13? I have a Revo 13, but am considering the PA 12. I almost exclusively fish small lakes in the midwest. I am intrigued by the comfort and storage the PA 12 offers, but am worried it won't be as good of a boat as the Revo 13. The Revo seems to be able to do a little of everything.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

if I was fishing lakes, no doubt I would not fish anything but a PA 14, I tried one out on a very large lake system two weeks ago. I want to take my next kayak offshore. I am going to demo an outback for a week starting tomorrow. I might consider the revolution 13. I like that speed to get back if you get into bad weather. No doubt, there is rougher water and surf in the North East where I have all my boating experiance. I am interested in fishing off the carolina coast and the gulf coast a few times a year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After the demo of the outback last week, I decided to go with the revolution 13 for the speed and ease of use. I found a 2012 on ebay with the turbo fins and the sailing rudder, anchor trolly and stake out pole. The boat looks brand new. The man retired and bought an outback and a revolution. His wife did not like being out in the wind and he had some physical limitations. Now the fun begins of adding accesories. I want to add an elite 4 dsi first so I am looking into the yakattack rail with a mad frog side board and a liberator unit to mount
the tranducer over the side. Any comments, Has anyone went this route before. Tim in NC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on your Revo purchase! I have the smaller Revo(11) and find that these kayaks are much easier to carry and surf launch than the bigger models you were considering. Very versatile yak. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not to mention that you live in an area with a ton of great smallmouth bass and muskie fishing. Pull the drive and the Revo makes a great kayak for paddling on those high mountain rivers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought the revo for the ocean. I have a native ultimate for river fishing. Just spent the weekend camping on the New river.