Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I normally solo my Oasis and really enjoy it. Yesterday for the first time this season the wife wanted to go.

We had a great time but I noticed that the rudder control lever from the back seemed to be more difficult than usual to operate. All of a sudden, the control lever came off. It appeared that the set screw backed out.

As it turned out, it was fortunate that the wife was with me, her rudder control lever worked just fine and got us back. I' suppose I could have used a paddle as a make shift rudder but it was a surprise.

Has anyone with an Oasis experienced a difficult to operate rudder lever from the rear, or had the set screw back out on them? Also is there a proper procedure for lubricating the metal steering mechanism?

Thanks for any feedback.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes this happened to me two days ago (Adventure 2010, not an Oasis). on a 3-day trip on a lake.
And more! When I tried to screw the set screw back in, and was tighting it, the whole brass bushing came out of the plastic rudder handle.
I repaired it with super glue and the repair hold for the rest of the trip. But now I need a new handle.

Yes, I could manage to steer with the paddle and use the Mirage Drive as usual. Weather conditions were calm.

br

thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine broke as well. Set screw backed out ...and, as mentioned, I had to glue mine as well till I bought a new tiller.

The latest Hobies appear to have a much more robust lever system in which the whole assembly does not explode into pieces due to one little loose set screw. Had been wondering if I could retro-fit the new lever design on my older Outback.

FYI, this was the first time in 6 years that I had a tiller failure, so apparently this isn't a chronic problem.(?)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:17 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

65Strad wrote:
Has anyone with an Oasis experienced a difficult to operate rudder lever from the rear, or had the set screw back out on them? Also is there a proper procedure for lubricating the metal steering mechanism?
Yes, I've also had the screw back out on the new style rudder handle. When you put it back in , use a dab of Loctite Blue to hold it and it will stay put. It screws in with a 1/8" Allenhead wrench as shown here:

Note, this applies to the new style rudder handle only -- if you notice any wobbliness with the rudder handle, the screw is probably coming loose. Don't wait for it to fall off (as I also did). Pop the decal off and reinsert the screw with a drop of Loctite and you'll be set. If the handle comes off on the water and you have a 1/8" Allenhead wrench in your kit, you can repair it on the spot. If not, you can probably insert the screw sufficiently with a nearby twig, needle nose pliers, or anything small enough to fit in the Allenhead pocket to get you back. If not, you have your trusty paddle available as an expedient rudder.

This is apparently not an issue with the newest boats, as Hobie is reportedly now Loctiting the rudder handle screws at the factory.

The dual control rudders (Oasis and Outfitter) have more system friction than the singles. A little silicon spray on the steering crank shaft and spring from underneath and on all other pivot points on the system should help.

Thomas, the rudder handles are not interchangeable. You need to also change the steering crank. Depending on the model, this may or may not fit your hull. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I lost my control rudder handle while on the road to a lake vacation trip. My daughter said she heard something hit the car. Needless to say I was not happy. I used my trusty leatherman as a vice for the weekend to control the rudder. I just put on my new handle that I got from my dealer and used loc tite to secure the screw. I guess the factory forgot this step because mine is a new rev 11. I would check all new kayaks to be sure they used the blue loc tite to secure the screw. IMHO

1 other kayak for son

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Same thing happened to me. 2012 Revo 11, third time on the water. Trouble is that in my case the handle just simply came off unexpectedly and I fumble-fingered it and it went over the side into Davy Jones' Locker (Antelope Lake). With only the remaining metal rod I was SOL so I reverted to Pochahontas Mode and paddled back.

I called the dealer I bought it from. They're 100 miles away from me and they said that I can send them photos and they'll submit a warranty claim to Hobie, but no promises.

I can whittle and drill a piece of wood as a replacement handle, anyone know the size of the screw needed?

Thanks,

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem with my new revo 11. I found that you can still steer by pressing the handle onto the pin, but I was happy that I was close to home and that it was not windy.

My problem is that you cannot buy the right size wrench to tighten the screw here in the Netherlands. Everything is metric here. Maybe I can order one via the dealer. Loctite? I'll ask the local hardware shop for something similar.

Cheers, Hillechien

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my PA17 out for the first time yesterday on a river cleanup in New Port Richey florida and the handle came off, the front passenger had to steer. For 5,300.00 I found this VERY annoying, dissappointed!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update: Andy at Tackle Shack in St.Pete Florida took care of the handle issue no charge, great client support!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the PSA; my Oasis handle was also loose and I took care of it with blue loctite 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Same thing happened to me on my 2012 Hobie Revo 13, What size is the screw that holds the rudder handle on? length, diameter, threads per inch?
Thanks