Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One of the things I like to do when fishing is standing. I could have the most comfortable chair on my boat and I would still stand 80% of the time for the ability to see better, cast farther, set the hook better and stay more alert.

Yes people can stand on the PA but when I look at the youtube videos on inland lakes I rarely see is people standing and fishing.

I am not very athletic and occasionally on my 72" wide boat I sometimes have to step to keep balance.

Why don't I see more people in videos standing in their PAs on small lakes?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got my PA 12 and have only had it out once. It's great to take back into the flooded grass and stand while looking for tailing redfish. If your looking for reds, sight fishing is the best!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mostly troll for trout on small lakes and have never felt the need to stand up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I stand quite often to fish out of my PA14. I like to sight fish for redfish in the salt marsh and standing is a necessity. I use the paddle as a push pole and have a belt rigged with a paddle clip so that I don't have to lean down and set it on the boat to cast. It works great.

When I'm bass fishing I sit more often than not unless I'm flipping. Then obviously standing is a must.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Once you stand, you lose the ability to motivate. How do you steer or propel the boat while standing?

There are times when standing is a plus, but I've found I can do just about as much from the nice, high PA seat, and retain the ability to steer and propel the boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I typically stand if I know I am drifting with minimal course correction needed and with minimal turbulence. If out in the water for a while, I will often anchor up and use my h-bar...not for better fishing but to rest my tailbone.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I stand quite often when I am looking for reds or want to be able to see further down a creek. When I am shallow I use a push pole and will cast to fish standing. Check out my YouTube channel jazd78 or kayak corpsman, and you will see me standing and landing fish in some of my videos.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I usually scoot and cast and when I get more than two hits I'll anchor and stand up and cast until the bite dies. Usually get a good 20% or so casting distance when I'm able to stand and really whip the rod forward.

Only other time I stand is when I throw out the drift chute and know I won't be doing much steering or pedaling.
Very rarely do I stand up and push pole in the pro angler. Used to do that a lot in my old paddle kayak (Native Ultimate) but now that I fish the PA I've found that my fishing patterns have changed. Really don't work the mangroves as much as I used to.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Once you stand, you lose the ability to motivate. How do you steer or propel the boat while standing?

There are times when standing is a plus, but I've found I can do just about as much from the nice, high PA seat, and retain the ability to steer and propel the boat.

......... by using an engine just rig up a throttle control and steering on the Hbar or throttle on the hbar and use your foot to control the Hobie Rudder ..........

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks. Mostly Redfish people. Excellent examples in vdeo from jazd78 (thanks).

I am guessing a bit of chop will be OK?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I actually stand most of the time when I'm fishing, but I will sit when I land a fish and take a picture. I guessing that's probably pretty common, so you will tend to see pictures of people sitting in their PA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got my PA12 and stand and fish comfortably in the gulf for snapper in 1-2 ft. seas. This is typically only when I'm anchored, the current or wind out there usually moves you along at a pretty good clip.

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How many PA do you see in a day? I have yet to see one in my area.

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

gotcha wrote:
How many PA do you see in a day? I have yet to see one in my area.

I have yet to see any other PA14s on the Minnesota lakes I fish. I think I'd get less strange looks if I rode a donkey down the boat ramp into the lake. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I fly fish from my PA, exclusively. I installed an H-bar on the PA and added a stripping basket to it so I could stand and cast on lakes. I just started doing it and enjoy it. I need to invest in a drift chute.

Bob