Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings all,

I sail an 18' on an inland lake. State laws require navigation lights (Port, stbd and stern) for all boats u/w at night.

Anybody have any good nav light rigs for small cats? I'm looking for something battery powered that won't be washed off when/if I pitchpole at night, and easily removable for the day.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not that it helps you but up to 18+' in Florida you just need a flashlight. I've thought about it a lot though and was thinking something mounted on the mast top might work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of our Fleet members gave me a couple LED lights.. They are like a glow stick except for they are battery powered.. he said they were cheap.. Like a couple bucks or less each cheap...

A little electrical tape to block part of each lights 360 view making for the 'proper' light pattern.. and a couple zip ties to secure the lights to the Bridle..

Done deal..

You can also just buy red and green glow sticks pretty cheap..

Not USCG approved.. but around here.. with one else generally on the lake I just can't see getting hassled to much. especially if a decent effort was made..

:D

Last time out though I opted to go ninja.. I didn't want the other H16 to see me sneaking up on him.. So I just strapped a flashlight to my life vest.. Just in case... :twisted:

A google search for battery powered Bow lights shows all kinds of stuff which could be secured to the chainplate..

Night sailing is so much fun!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronholm wrote:
Not USCG approved.. but around here.. with one else generally on the lake I just can't see getting hassled to much. especially if a decent effort was made..

Just a bit of a heads up, friend, if you aren`t running proper lights and an accident happens, your insurance is cancelled as is your ability to defend yourself in court. Sadly that is how sheit happens in the US when there are far more lawyers than sailors in that country....

Tri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

very true. ^^^

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My friend was in a kayak (with his family as a group) after watching fireworks last 4th of July and was hit by a bass boat near the dock and died. He was only required to have a flashlight but never got it out in time to do any good. Per the above posts, play it safe and follow the rules with the nav lights and have a big flashlight ready also. A bright light on the sail makes you more visible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

already discussed in length in previous posts
I will say it again any hobie is not made for night sailing
The night is a dangerous time to be on the water on any boat even one like my Hydra Sports CC 24 with 3NM LED's red white and green
also with the floods front and rear that I have needed more than a time or two to keep from being hit
Former Hobie Adsmiral Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's what I did:

Bought these from West Marine, they are LED, 4 AA powered and come with suction cups and a clamp.

I stick the bow light on with the suction cup and double secure it with the shock cords on the hatch. (the suction cup held for 3 days on the hatch and was still well secured when i removed it)

For the stern light i got a lenght of PVC and drilled a hole for the clamp foot pad to fit inside.

I then screw the light in and stick it in the rod holder. It did not interfer with the sheet and elevated the stern lamp for better visibility.

I am not going to debate the legality or safety of having the boat out in the dark - that is up to you and your best judgement - just sharing my application for the good of the order.

The only time i have used it so far is to watch fireworks in 24" of water....i am going to come up with mast-top mount should we decide to night sail.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats very cool tjcouch.
Specially on a dark red kayak, it`s very wise to have lights.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stupid motor boats, they can't hardly avoid hitting me during the day, never mind sailing at night!!! :x

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As a general rule, kayaks and sailboats shouldn't have a 360 light unless at anchor. The white like should only be visible from the rear.

Anytime you can see the white AND the red/green at the same time it means it is a boat under motor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One trick I got from my Dad to let other boaters know we're a sailboat: get a flashlight with a ring or lanyard on the butt end, and put the halyard shackle (or hook) through it as you attach your sail. Then hoist the sail, and the flashlight will be pointing down at the sailcloth and illuminate it.

There are wide beam LED flashilghts now which would be well suited to this task.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"