Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Creaking from the hull
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First season owner of a 2001 Wave. Loving everything about the boat so far.

I've probably been out about 8-10 times this season on Pleasant Bay down in Chatham Cape Cod.

We went out for about four hours last weekend in very light wind but lots of motor boats around. So, basically we were getting tossed around by their wake most of the day. The wake got pretty big toward the end of the day and the boat was really rocking a few times.

While sailing back toward shore at the end the day I started to hear a creaking noise coming from the rear of the boat. I started looking around for the source. I put my hand on the point where the end of the rear cross bar can be seen on the outside of the starboard hull. When the creaking noise would occur, I could feel a tiny bit of movement between the cross bar and it's mounting hole in the hull.

Is this something I should be concerned about? The previous owner sailed the boat on a lake during the summer. It seems to be in really nice shape and I don't see major dings in the bottom of the hulls that would indicate it's hit a lot of stuff.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is completely normal - the cross bar / insert through the hull is not a net fit - there is some play... you can tighten the tramp a little and that should stiffen the platform up a bit - but some creaking on a Hobie is completely normal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now that you say it, the tramp has felt a little bit more loose recently. I'll take a gander at tightening it up. Any tricks besides just pulling on the rope? I have the kind of tramp with the separation down the middle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I read this trick if you have a trailer: Put the boat on the trailer and strap it on really tight side-to-side, then use pliers to grab the trampoline lacing rope and work it through the eyelets, till it's snug.

I did this and got about two feet of rope out. When I released the straps, you could bounce a dime off the tramp.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lsmaclea wrote:
Now that you say it, the tramp has felt a little bit more loose recently. I'll take a gander at tightening it up. Any tricks besides just pulling on the rope? I have the kind of tramp with the separation down the middle.

Here's another trick to get a very tight lacing pattern: Soak down your lacing lines in indirect sunlight with a garden hose and get it as tight as you can.
Then put your boat back into direct sunlight on a sunny day and let the lines dry out. The lines will contract slightly when they dry out.
Cheers
Tri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lsmaclea wrote:

It's what Hobie calls the Club Edition, Supposedly the SE (standard edition) is supposed to be cartop able. The CE version is just as cartop able if you take the tramps and crossbars out and stow the rest of the boat inside an SUV. I still have no idea why Hobie sells 2 versions of the same Cat??
Confused as Hell. Considering that the guy who makes the Cheata Motor Bracket for the CE version still has no idea of the difference of either versions, it seems to be a cluster !@#$.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to enlighten him and got the right bracket as a result.
Regards
Tri